Wednesday, June 13, 2018

As the Deer Pants

I am not an overly religious man but was raised up attending a small, little white church on the hill several miles from our small country home. I always loved the Psalms the best as they expressed just deep emotions and longings. I was a bit of an outsider growing up in this rural setting as I was an artistic emotional child. I comforted myself reading the Psalms and always believing in better days. This is the inspiration for this piece. Many people try to keep deer out of their gardens I am inviting them to be part of our gardens as I try to include all outsiders into my art.
1.   Separate Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Flourished Deer, Vine Corners, and Creepy Tree 5 inches.
3.  Use Ranger Vintaj Patina set to distress the Seed Packet Plant Holders using a small natural sponge.

4.  Cut out photocopied pictures and use a Pistachio Coptic marker on the edges.
5.  Glue pictures into Seed Packet Plant Holders using Weldbond.
6.  To make the outdoor friendly coat with two coats of Clear Matte Varnish.
7.  Emboss Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Flourished Deer with Wendy Vecchi Tree Branch Embossing Powders.
8.  Emboss Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Vine Corners with Wendy Vecchi Fern Green Embossing Powders.
9.   Emboss Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Creepy Tree with Rangers Brick Embossing Powders.
10.                Cure all using a heating tool.
11.                To antique the shiny pieces I used a dry brush to apply Raw Umber Antiquing Cream.
12.                Coat all embossed pieces with Clear Matte Varnish as the Antiquing Cream is water based and will run unless coated.
13.                Use Weldbond to layer the embossed pieces onto the Seed Packet Plant Holders.
14.                Allow to dry fully using a weighted bag of BB's or Kitty Litter to hold pieces into place.
15.                Once dry add several more coats of Clear Matte Varnish to assure they will be able to withstand the outside weather.
***Some artist might stop here but I always like to take it a few steps further and pushing the envelope a little closer to the edge. I've heard it said "If you're not living on the edge, you're wasting too much space***
16.                Using Gypsy Souls Laser Cuts Layered Bella Oval Frame to make a "Salad Bar" sign.
17.                Print the words "Salad Bar" using your word processing program.
18.                Distress the paper sign using a stamp and permanent ink of your choosing.
19.                Use Rangers Brick Embossing Powder on the back portion of the frame curing with heating tool.
20.                Use Ranger Vintaj Patina set to distress the front portion of the frame.
21.                Use a Coptic marker to determine proper placement of printed inked words.
22.                Glue into place using Weldbond.
23.                Dry flat and weight down with your trusty bag of BBs or kitty litter.
24.                Distress sign using antiquing cream of raw umber, copper paint, and Coptic markers.
25.                Add a layer of Gloss Accents to center of sign.
26.                Sprinkle with Finnabair microbeads and mica chips.
27.                Add an aged look using Finnabair Red and Brown Rust Paste.
28.                To add weight to the salad bar sign, so it would hang correctly, I cut out an oval shape from a piece of balsa wood.

29.                Distress with Ferro Textured Paint of Silver and Irongold.
30.                Secure smaller more delicate sign to larger balsa wood using screwdriver and micro-screws.
31.                Use Finnabair Red and Brown Rust Paste to tie it all together.
32.                Drill two holes into balsa sign, add 12 to 13 aluminum jump rings to both sides so sign can dangle between two deer signs.
33.                Once everything is dry, add several more coats of Clear Matte Varnish to assure it is outdoor ready
I find great comfort walking in the woods. Every gift I receive while there comforts me. Seeing a deer drinking from a stream restores my soul and lets me know all is well in the world. I find Nature can be a great cathedral and wisdom often comes in unexpected places. And, a sense of humor makes the darkest days brighter.




Supplies: Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts-Flourished Deer, Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts-Creepy Tree 5 Inches, Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts-Vine Corners, Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts-Layered Frame Bella Oval, Upcycled Seed Packet Plant Holders(can find them by doing an internet search sold by Amazon, garden centers, some Big Lot stores), photocopies of woodland scenes, Ranger Vintaj Patina Set, Small Natural Sponge, Coptic Marker-Pistachio, Weldbond, Clear Matte Varnish, Paintbrush, Versa Mark, Wendy Vecchi Embossing Powders-Tree Branch and Fern Green, Ranger Embossing Powder-Brick (Use to be named Rust). Heating Tool, Antiquing Cream Raw Umber, Weighted Bags of BB's or Kitty Litter, balsa wood, micro-screws, screwdriver, Ferro Textured Paint Irongold and Silver,  24 jump rings-12 gauge x 3/8 i.d.(inside diameter) anodized aluminum in black ice, and  two pairs of flat nosed pliers

I cannot wait to see your interpretation of this project. Share it on the Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Craft Group Page on Facebook. I would love to see what new creations you are working on!

2 comments:

  1. Love this! I do Bible journaling and have been planning to illustrate that verse!! Love that you share your gardens willingly with these beautiful creatures (or at east pretend to-lol!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Lynne. As I said I love the Psalms and they have carried me through some dark days!! I find deer to be so graceful and usually give me a sense of calm especially if I see them in the woods and not in front of me when I am driving the back roads.

      Delete