Saturday, June 16, 2018

Carnival Food Cart

I've been wanting to make a tiny display of snacks you would find at a carnival, county or state fair forever. When I discovered the GSL Peddler's Cart which is available over at Alpha Stamps I immediately knew that would be a perfect fit. Let me walk you through how I made it.
When I start a new project, the first thing I do is assemble it without glue first to see how it's put together. The kit comes with two dowels; one for the wheels and one for the cart's handle. Please note these dowels go on opposite sides of the cart. 
Before gluing anything together I used the side support pieces as a template for cutting my scrapbook paper.  The colorful papers I chose for this project come from Bo Bunny's Lemonade collection. Any pieces that I didn't want to paper like the wheels, stand, handle, etc. got painted with a acrylic paint before assembly started.
This is the base of the cart sitting upside down. I started by inserting the dowel for the wheels. I used tacky glue for all assembly. 
The piece on the left is the top shelf of the cart (upside down). I painted and glued in the support pieces before adding the red and pink heart paper to the other side.
This shows the shelf glued in place (right side up) The front and rear of the cart's base are ready for paper.
It's time to install the cart's handle, wheels and stand. The scalloped paper from the Lemonade collection was perfect for the awning.
I made up a few basic signs on Photoshop to advertise the fun foods that were going to be available on my cart. Let me also walk you through how I made the treats.
The cotton candy was probably the easiest one to make. I made tiny bags out of pieces of cellophane. The cotton candy is just wool roving, which is what yarn is made from. I closed the bags with bits of baker's twine.
The pretzels are made from polymer clay that I tinted with pastel chalk. I added tiny bits of white poly clay 'salt' before baking them off. They were displayed on a painted scrap of wood from my stash. I tucked one inside a tiny bag made from glassine paper.
I made polymer clay apples and nachos. I added a little bit of black pepper to the clay I used for the nachos. Those were piled high onto a tiny ceramic plate before baking.
The candy apples were first tinted with a bit of brown pastel chalk. The skewers are toothpicks. After baking, I mixed a bit of red acrylic paint with Ranger Glossy Accents and dipped them. I set the dipped apples on a bit of aluminum foil until the coating was set.
The giant lollipops were made from a polymer clay rainbow cane and are sitting in a miniature candle cup. You can find many tutorials on YouTube for making miniature lollipops.
Similar to the apple coating, the nacho cheese was made from yellow acrylic paint and Glossy Accents. The popcorn boxes were assembled from a free printable I found online.
The Sno-Kones were a fun project. They started with balls of white polymer clay. After baking, I painted rainbow swirls on them with acrylic paint. The toothpicks are just for ease of handling them while the paint is wet.
Once dry and glued into tiny paper cones I covered the balls with tacky glue and rolled them in crystal glitter.
This project was a super fun realization of a crafty goat I've had for a long time.
 Thanks for stopping by!
  
Gypsy Soul Laser Items Used

Other Items Used
BoBunny Lemonade papers
Tacky glue
Acrylic paint
Ranger Glossy Accents
Polymer clay
Pastel chalks
Toothpicks
Wool roving
Baker's twine
Miniature ceramic plate
Miniature candle cup
Cellophane, glassine and wood scraps
Printed images


No comments:

Post a Comment