Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Good Friday Triptych

Hi everyone, Ann here today sharing a special piece that I created.
I can't quite believe that Easter is almost here. I know that many people celebrate in various ways; my family is very traditional. We attend religious services during holy week, including the sacred triduum. One of the most powerful services, for me, is on Good Friday. I have created this triptych to honor the sacrifice that was made on that day.



I began with Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts arch top triptych. This consists of 6 pieces, 3 solid backs and 3 decorative open fronts. I want the piece to have the look of an antique icon; many of the ones I have seen are gilded with undertones of red.
In order to achieve this look, I first paint the pieces with Distress Paint in candied apple.
Once the paint is dry, I coat the front panels with embossing ink and sprinkle with ancient amber Baked Texture embossing powder. Baked Texture is a collaboration between artist, Seth Apter and Emerald Creek Craft Supplies, and I love the finishes it creates. I use a heat gun to melt the powder.
I search the internet to find the perfect image to put into my triptych. I download The Crucifixion with the virgin, Saint John, Saint Jerome, and Saint Mary Magdalene from museum.org. The image is perfect for my project and also free of copyrights.
 
I print the image three times and cut each section to fit on its respective panel. The right and left side images are slightly narrower than their openings. I extend each side image by painting along the right and left edges with Distress Paint in tarnished brass and set aside to dry. While this is drying, I align and attach hinges to the three panels. Although the hinges have mini screws that can be used for attachment, these will be sandwiched between the front and back panels so I use collage medium to hold them in place. I allow the adhesive to dry completely.

I would like the back sides  of the triptych to look aged and somewhat decorative. Using a Stampers Anonymous Tim Holtz gothic stencil, I apply embossing ink through the stencil onto the painted back side and sprinkle with more Ancient Amber Baked Texture and heat emboss to the desired finish. This same procedure is completed on each of the three panels. I die cut a bible verse and edge the piece with the Ancient Amber as well. This is adhered to the bottom area of the middle panel and allowed to dry overnight. 
 Each image adhered to their respective panels is coated with a generous  layer of Distress Collage Medium Crazing. When dry, this creates a crackled appearance typical of an old painting. 
The last step is adhering the top frames to each panel. I use collage medium on the underside of each frame and put it into place. Each frame is weighted down to ensure it remains flat until it is completely dry. 
Once dry, the triptych is ready for display.


Wishing everyone a blessed Easter!
 May the coming spring inspire you to create something wonderful! 
~Ann

Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts used:

2 comments:

  1. Ann, this is so exquisite and so perfect for the season. It reflects both the reason for the holiday and the traditional architecture and artwork of so many churches. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Betsy, that was the what I was hoping to achieve. I love working with the Gypsy Soul triptych pieces, they accept the different mediums so well and stay nice and sturdy.

      Delete