Sunday, July 10, 2016

Seahorses and Seaweed

Hi everyone and welcome to the GSLC blog today.  My name is Teresa and I get to be a guest designer for this month and I am so very excited.  I have lots of fun things to share with you but today's post is a cute little pillbox that I made up for my travel money that I am saving.  I got inspired by a trip I went on recently to the Long Beach Aquarium and set off to create something fun.


For my project I started with the Seahorses and Seaweed set BD6L.  And I also used the small metal Altoid tin.  These come in a few sizes but I wanted my box to be big enough to stash a few dollars so I picked the larger one so I could add more to the top too.  


To cover my tin I used papers from Ruby Rock-it in a pretty purple wood grain.  I thought it actually gave it a neat watery look and it went with the purple theme I was going for.  Then I added some jute ribbon around the top to look like the ropes on a boat and just a bit of twine and silk ribbon tied in a pretty bow to decorate the side.


And for my laser pieces I really had fun and there is so much you can do with them.  I inked mine first and then sprinkled them with clear embossing powder to heat it.  Then I inked them again with a brighter ink to give it a more mottled look.  The seahorse is light turquoise with bits of an aqua an gold embossing powder and some green Stickles to make it more 3D and pop.  And of course I got to use some of those mica flakes that I had laying around to make it look like the aquarium floor.  It was really fun and I think the layering of all the little bits of things really makes the chipboard pieces pop that much more.  And don't forget to save the chipboard negative because you can use it as a stencil too like I did for the seaweed on the base.  I stenciled another piece in white on the base of the top so that it would make the green laser pieces stand out more and shadow them.


Here is a few of the things i used in my stash plus my gorgeous Seahorse laser cut.  Over the years I have collected lots of fun things so when i create something I love to get out lots of products and see where it takes me.  And now I have something pretty to save a few dollars for my next vacation.

Supply List:

Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts- Seahorses and Seaweed (Coming Soon!!)
Altoid Tin
Inks-Turquoise, blue, white, greens, purples
Scotch Quick Dry Adhesive
Mica chips in purple and pink
Stampendous Aged Aqua embossing enamel
Goosebumps Clear Texture Spray
Tiny Flowers
Jute cording and 1/2" ribbon

No comments:

Post a Comment