Wednesday, July 13, 2016

"Journey" Mixed Media Canvas by Linsey



Hello friends! Linsey here and today I'm sharing a mixed media piece I made using a 6x6 inch stretched canvas flipped and transformed into a miniature shadowbox. This piece speaks the truth to me in my everyday life and when it comes to art, it is much the same. The creative process, like life, is also a journey. We are all free to fly, we all wear a crown and artistically, our imagination is the only limit. I like to file this under my "Creator endowed rights" and my little shadowbox is a reflection of that freedom.
The fantastic selection of wood and chipboard pieces from Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts is endless! I chose the Art Deco Corner Set to emboss in white and adorn the corners of the shadowbox. Next I chose to use a few of the House Jewelry Pieces and one of the birds from the Bird On A Swing Shape Set to adorn the inside of the canvas-shadow box. Again, I heat embossed these pieces in white. I added a layer of Hologram embossing powder over the house and house frame, then added a rub on sentiment to the surface of the embossed bird. I also added a metal crown to the bird and glued several purple beads to the inside of the tiny house frame. Then I glued them to the inner top so they can dangle on little strands of bling.
Next I gathered plenty of paper flowers in various sizes and colors, then painted them all in a coat of white gesso. I chose the Wooden Journey Charm for the top front of the box and painted it in gesso as well. After all was dry, I started painting the word charm, each flower and the canvas (inside and out) with Shimmerz watercolor paints in piggy pink, blue lagoon and pugnacious purple. Then I glued everything in place and added a bit of twine in a bow to the side. I really like how the Journey charm turned out.  It took the Shimmerz paints so beautifully.
Thank you so much for stopping by today! I hope you've enjoyed my project and found a bit of inspiration!

1 comment: