Friday, January 15, 2016

Three Story Tudor House - Part 1

Hello all! I'm Jess and I'll be your tutorial-writer today! I'm brand spankin' new to the Design Team and my focus is on miniatures of all scales and more "different" things. 

My project involves the Three Story House from Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts. We'll be transforming it into a Tudor home through my next couple of blog posts, so check back next Friday for Part 2!

Materials List
*3 Story House from Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts
*6 Panel Windows lrg/md from Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts
*Shingle Strips from Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts
*Wooden Coffee Stir Sticks
*Uhu Glue Sticks
*Popsicle Sticks
*Hot Glue sticks
*PVA Glue
*Acrylic Paint: Black, Cinnamon, Navy Blue, Antique White, White, Burnt Umber
*Recollections Tattered & Worn Scrapbook paper
*Polyfilla Spackling Compound
*Game Ink: Sepia

Tools
*Scissors
*Hot Glue Gun
*Paper Towel
*Paint Brushes

Part 1

Assemble the 3 Story house completely (minus the roof), using PVA glue to hold the tabs together.


Using scissors to cut popsicle sticks, I laid down a wood floor. I marked the length of the floor on each stick using a pencil and laid it in a “One-Two” pattern. The first stick I cut to the length of the whole floor, the second I cut in two (at random intervals). I repeat this process until the entire floor is covered in wooden sticks. I've used this method on all three floors.



I recommend holding both ends of the popsicle sticks as you cut them or the ends will go flying, oft' never to be seen again or until your toddler locates them later.

To fasten the floorboards you've created, you can cheat like I did and use your hot glue gun, or you can lay down a layer of PVA glue.

If you plan on adding the windows, what I did was use a (very!) sharp craft knife to cut out the shapes. You can do this before or after the wallpaper, it doesn't make much difference as you'll be covering any mess-ups with the window itself in the end (not yet!).



I like to do the floors before installing wallpaper to allow for some mess-ups. I've used three different patterns from the Recollections Worn collection as wallpaper. To glue it to the walls, I used Uhu sticks, but in the past I've also used rubber cement, which also works very nicely. I chose 3 “tudor-esque” patterns to try and fit the soon-to-be outside of the building.



Once the wallpaper is down, you can add in the baseboards using wooden stir sticks. I did not pre-paint mine, but if you're a stickler for neatness, it's likely the better option. At this point I also placed the inside window portions (I did paint these first).



I then painted the floorboards with a thin coat of burnt umber paint and let it dry completely. After it's dry, I dry brushed some white paint over top of the brown to give it a whitewashed look.



And that's it for today's installment of the 3 Story Tudor, check back next Friday for Part 2!

-Jess

Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Products Used:
Shingle Strips (coming soon!)

No comments:

Post a Comment