Saturday, March 23, 2019

Let Your Imagination Take Flight and Build Your Dreams


Walt Disney once said, "if you can dream it, you can do it." For me, that is what this year has been all about. I have been reaching outside of my comfort zone to build the foundation for achieving my dreams. 

Actually, I have been going beyond more than just one comfort zone. I have been trying a lot of new things--from starting art product lines, to growing friendships and alliances in the art industry, to expanding the kinds of art I make to opening up about last year's health scare.

In essence, I am on a journey to build a new and improved Betsy. This journey is proving to be both exciting and a wee bit terrifying. This shrine represents what I hope my journey will become. Inside is a rough, lumpy, imperfect and sometimes dark place where ideas percolate and hard work to build a solid a foundation is underway. My hope is that by taking what I imagine and building my dreams, beauty, color and inspiration will spring forth. 
I am already seeing some exciting results. I am working with Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts and Emerald Creek to bring new products to the craft world. I can't wait for you to see them!

I attended Creativation this year and solidified what previously were virtual friendships and made many new friends as well. 

I agreed to join Eileen Hull's new Education Team, which has a roster of truly impressive artists. And to ensure fun and learning, I am meeting up with friends to take art classes. 

Another way I am reaching outside my comfort zone is daring to share a little of last year's health journey in an extended version of this post on my blog. 

So many wonderful things have happened this year--and to think it is only March. I wonder what the rest of the year has in store for me?

Tutorial How to Make the Build Your Dreams Shrine

Begin by using a strong adhesive to assemble the ATC Shrine with Feet
Cover the shrine and Vintage Bulb with texture paste. Let dry. 
While the shrine is drying, cut out the Hardware Silhouettes and paint with metallic gold paint. 
Dry with heat gun and add black distress ink.
Spray Tea Dye Distress Ink over the surface of the shrine.
Add layers of quinacridone nickel azo gold and burnt umber to the shrine, putting more of the burnt umber on the edges of the shrine.
Set aside one of the large screws to use on the top of the shrine. Adhere some of the other hardware pieces to the back of the shrine. 
Print two sets of butterflies, with one set being a mirror image of the other. Next you get to do lots of fussy cutting. For each butterfly, cut one original image and one mirror image.
I got a little immersed in the next parts and forgot to take pictures, but I think everything is self explanatory. 

Adhere white wire between two mirror images of a butterfly so that the butterfly has a front and back. Repeat this for eight butterflies. Gather four of the butterfly wires and twist them together at the base. 

Adhere the two groups of wire to the Hardware Silhouette screw that you set aside. I recommend using both a glue and a strong duct tape to keep the wire in place. 

Line up where you will place the screw on top of the shrine and mark where the two wire group bases will sit. Use a utility knife to gouge out two holes in the top of the shrine where you will embed the two wire group bases.

Use a strong adhesive to then adhere the screw and wires to the top of the shrine.

Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend! -Betsy

Great Stuff

Texture Paste
Tea Dye Spray Distress Ink
Soot Black Distress Ink
Acrylic paint: quinacridone nickel azo gold, burnt umber and metallic gold
Duct tape
White wire
Butterfly prints

3 comments:

  1. Congrats thanks for sharing your journey looking forward to turn products. I’m hoping to expand my art career too

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a beautiful piece Betsy. Wishing you much success and happiness as you continue your journey!

    ReplyDelete