Friday, October 27, 2017

Create art with Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts

Hi all, I teach kids art classes in my home, and thought this would make a lovely addition to our work space. I started with a Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Dovetail banner. There are a few different options for these in the store. I chose to work with the "Create" banner. Of course, you could also substitute any other word you like.


 The kit comes with 3 parts for each banner section; a scalloped base, banner layer and letter. These are all cut from .030 chipboard. This is a little thinner than other kits on the store, which makes it perfect for embossing.


I coated each piece with gesso, and ran the white layers through my embossing machine, with a different pattern on each piece. 


I wanted to create a rainbow effect. I created this with varying shades of each colour using paint sprays. I just kept adding and playing with each one until I was happy with the look. The more colour I added, the more the embossed image became visible. Remember to heat set between colours. I also blotted with paper towel to get a more even look. 


I then added some metallic gold spray to each and sprinkled with fine gold glitter before heat setting. This created a cohesive look across all the pieces. 


I used simple jute to tie my pieces together. I coated the Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Filigree Frames in gold silk paint, and used them to highlight some of the letters. 


I coated the letters in black gesso and left them plain. This created a stark contrast with the coloured background and made them stand out, as well as visually tying it together with the base layer. 


Finally I added a few little leaves and flowers in matching colours,  to each letter to embellish, along with a small piece of gauze for texture. The minimal embellishing allows the embossed background to remain a focus. 



Supplies used:

Lindy's Stamp Gang paint sprays
Embossing folders-various
Jute
Paper roses and leaves
Finnabair art basics gesso
Dina Wakely black gesso
Gauze mesh
Silk paint: Sunflower
Fine gold glitter

1 comment:

  1. This is so very cute and would be perfect to decorate a crafty room... Love how you did each of the pieces with different colors!!

    ReplyDelete