Friday, August 4, 2017

Santos Doll

Hi everyone, Jennalee here today!! I've had the idea for this Santos Doll for awhile. When I was digging thru my Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts stash I found the perfect halo background piece and frame ends, and from there it all fell into place.


I have long admired Santos Dolls and had been wanting to make one for some time, but needed to find all the perfect pieces. I had been looking for the perfect halo of light piece. When I  saw this Swirl Medallion-Large (coming soon) I knew that painted gold it would perfectly offset the Santos figure. 

To begin, remove the top layer on a piece of corrugated cardboard. Using a palette knife apply a layer of Distress Grit Paste or Grout to cardboard piece. For the cage skirt I used wooden coffee stirrers from my stash or you can also use a flat wooden dowel cut to size. To the skirt pieces apply a generous layer of grit paste. Allow pieces to air dry. 

Once dry paint cardboard background using your choice of paints or inks. For mine I used acrylic paints and Distress Oxides.



 To add "rust" to skirt pieces paint with brown acrylic, while paint is still wet dip piece into cinnamon. Allow to dry. Using your finger and a very light touch add highlights of gold and aquamarine for a patina effect.






For the background halo paint Swirl Medallion with brown acrylic paint. Allow to dry. Once dry spray generously with a gold shimmer spray. 





For frame pieces emboss 1 Herald Medallion (coming soon) with Burnt Copper Leaves. Cut Medallion in half. Use the top half of  the Medallion to frame the top of your piece and the larger bottom half of Medallion as a frame for bottom edge of piece. 



To add texture to your Santos figure add a very thin layer of gesso to book text. Using a palette knife allows for control and to add some rough texture for a clay like effect. Stamp out figure and color in using watercolors or choice of medium.


Now for the fun part putting it all together. Using hot glue attach Swirl Medallion. Layer on Santos figure and arrange cage skirt as desired. Attach skirt pieces with hot glue. Add top and bottom Medallion pieces to edges. Step back and admire. 


Thank you for stopping by and spending a few minutes with me here at Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts today. I hope you enjoyed this project and that you can find all the right pieces for that project that you've been dreaming up. ~Jennalee 






No comments:

Post a Comment