Thursday, September 15, 2016

Vintage Phone Cards by Barbara

Hi everyone!  Barbara here today on the Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts blog.  I don't know about you, but I absolutely love antiques and anything vintage.  When I saw these Vintage Phones, I knew they would work really well with Graphic 45's Communique paper.  So I decided to make a couple of vintage cards with them.



For the first card: 


Make a 5" x 6-1/2" folded black card for your base.  Cut script paper slightly smaller than card front, distress with black ink and adhere.  Die cut an elegant frame from black card stock and adhere to card, as shown.


 Choose your chipboard and paint each piece with black acrylic paint.  I like to do this first because it not only gives the chippies a base color, but it also seals the surface.  


Next, I began adding some extra dimension onto my telephone pieces by using the border strips from the Texture Sheets Fiesta.  I also added a strip of chipboard to each phone handle, as shown in the photo.



Paint handle and bottom of phone with Raw Sienna.  Let dry


Repeat step above using Transparent Yellow Iron Oxdie.  Let dry.


Repeat step above using Carbon Black antiquing cream.  Let dry.  Add brass metallic pasted to the phone, dial cover, and handset, as shown.  Wipe off most of the antiquing cream with a wet baby wipe or paper towel.  


Punch a 1" circle from scrap paper with a craft punch and adhere it beneath the dial cover.  



Adhere all pieces to the card front, as shown.  Lastly, dry brush a silver metallic paint over the brass areas, and distress edges with black distress ink.  Add a piece of coiled wire from the handset to the phone base to finish it off.



For card number two:



Follow the same procedure to paint the phone and put all the pieces together.   Cut the numbers apart and adhere to card front, as shown.   Use the photo as a reference.  Lastly, I added more silver and gold to the brass areas of the phone to help them stand out better against the paper background.




Supplies used:

GSL Mixed Media Fragments 1 (numbers background)
Graphic 45 Communique paper collection
Spellbinders Dies: S4-445 Majesty; 
DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics - Burnt Sienna, Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide, Metallic Silver
DecoArt Media Antiquing Cream - Carbon Black
DecoArt Metallic Lustre - Burnished Brass
Black acrylic paint
Black distress ink
Foam blending tool

I hope you like my project today. I thought these would make great cards to invite your friends or family to get in touch.  But I also believe these would make great cards for any occasion, and I think they have a bit of a masculine feel, as well.  What do you think?

Thanks for stopping by, and have a wonderful, crafty day!

Barbara

1 comment: