Friday, September 16, 2016

Nevermore Books - Part One


In the coming weeks I'm going to be making a very small, but very detailed miniature scene. It's the most intricately fiddly bit I've worked on in quite some time and I'm expanding my knowledge of working with foam and trying out some new techniques. I'm going to share it all with you! There will be so many in-progress shots you won't know what to do with it all.

As I work on this project, I've got to wait for clay to cure, glue to dry and paint to dry, so sometimes I have to wait 24 hours between being able to work on certain parts, so please bare with me here.

What I aim to create is the outside of a very old bookshop. A bookshop you would find down a winding cobblestone street in a very old town. A bookshop full of ancient tomes and scrolls of unknown knowledge.


I cut a piece of pink insulation foam to fit my chosen door (I do love this rustic door!)


Then I drew my horizontal lines first for very tiny bricks.


Followed up by the vertical lines.


I use all manor of things for texture, but my favourite is balled up tinfoil. It's cheap and easy and I love cheap and easy!


I started with a fresh blade and had to change the blade after I finished the door. I was also very careful, and you should all be very proud of me as I didn't cut myself once during the door-destruction - not even once! I cut away at each piece of the door, then used an awl to add "wood" lines.


Look at this! It doesn't look like chip board at all! It's already looking like a big old ancient door!


Black basing, of course...


And then some fancy pants orange.


And turquoise on top


And then I made it extra pretty with some add-ons - isn't it pretty? Wait until the whole project is done!


Then I cut away at the brick work in preparation for next week, the laying of the mortar. Kind of backwards, right?

Check back next Friday to see how the bookshop's coming!

Jess




GSLC Products
Rustic Door 1:12 Scale
Hinges Shape Set
Victorian Corners 2

No comments:

Post a Comment