Monday, November 30, 2015

Winter Butterfly by Barb

About the only thing I miss in the Winter is seeing butterflies flitting around outside. So, in my fantasy world, there would be winter butterflies and they would look a lot like this. They would shimmer with beautiful iridescence and have all manner of sparkling bits on them that would twinkle in the Winter sun.

To create this Winter Butterfly, I began with a blank paper pulp butterfly mask that I had in my stash of craft stuff. I very lightly sponged on Silks Acrylic Glaze in Mediterranean Blue. Using a stencil and a heavier dose of the same paint, I sponged on snowflakes and then set it aside to dry thoroughly.
For the snowflakes, I cut pieces from the Snowflake Border and chose a few pieces from the Snowflake Shape Set as well. These I coated with white craft ink and while they were still wet, sprinkled on Frantage Shabby Blue embossing powder which I then heat set.

By the time I was done, my mask was dry enough to glue on the finished snowflakes. I added a little more bling using various rhinestones from my craft stuff stash.

To bring it all together and finish it off, I chose one of the snowflakes from the Snowflake Shape Set, slathered it with glue and dunked it in glitter. Then I glued a rhinestone to the center, and with that, my mask was complete. 

If you see a woman walking down the street wearing a Winter Butterfly mask, please know that she's mostly harmless - stop and say hello.

Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts products used

Other products used
ColourArte Silk Acrylics Paint - Mediterranean Blue
Tim Holtz snowflakes stencil
Frantage Shabby Blue embossing powder
Rhinestones
Beacon 3-in-1 glue
Glitter

1 comment: