Monday, November 23, 2015

A Candle in the Dark by Barb




The question I'm most often asked is, "Where do you get your inspiration?"

It might be easier to ask where I don't find inspiration. Because, it is everywhere! All the time. I only need to pay attention.

The other night as we were about halfway through one of the wildest storms I've seen here in about a decade, the power went out. And it stayed out for five hours. We were lucky - some people waited almost three days to get the lights turned back on.


The power outage was an inconvenience, but we were prepared. We lit candles and admired the sound of the howling wind and driving rain.

As I watched one of the candles flickering and throwing it's tiny light out into the big dark room, this cool Candlesticks set from Gina's Designs came to mind. As soon as the lights came on again, I was off and running... uh... painting!
The base of this project is a 7 x 9" canvas panel to which I applied acrylic paint. For the candle, I coated the base in gold Delicata ink. I gave the candle a real wax look by using a combination of irRESISTibles in white and shimmer. I used yellow irRESISTibles for the flame and sprinkled on yellow glitter while it was still wet. I love the way the flame catches the light!

Inspiration is everywhere. All we have to do is pay attention.

Gina's Designs products used


Other products used
Canvas panel
Acrylic Paint
irRESISTibles
Delicata ink
Glitter
Glue

No comments:

Post a Comment