Monday, December 14, 2015

Walkin' in a Winter Wonderland by Barb

If there is anything prettier than a snowy day in the woods, I don't know what it is. With the low Winter sun catching on the snow, the whole world looks like it's dusted with glitter. I will confess, I actually crafted this piece back in August when I was still busy being crabby about the hot weather. A girl can dream, y'know?

For this piece I began with a 12 x 16" canvas panel to which I applied blue and white paint for the background. I used StazOn Cotton White ink and various snowflake stamps on the sky. I set that aside and went to work on my pieces from Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts.

I started with the bare tree. I gave this a very thin coat of white gesso. I wanted some of the brown to show through so it would look more like a bare, frosty winter tree. Once it dried, I coated it with glue using my Essential Glue pad. I worked quickly, "inking" a section and sprinkling it with glitter before moving on to another section. 

I used Brilliance Pearlescent Poppy on the birds to give them just a tiny bit of shimmer.

Next came the deer, which I coated in Versamark embossing ink, dusted with glittery embossing powder, and then heat set. With those done, I went to work on the fir trees. I coated them with a liberal dose of white gesso - sponging it on so it blobbed up in areas to give the trees some texture. While the gesso was still wet, I sprinkled on white glitter, then set them aside to dry.
Once all my pieces and the background were completely dry, I glued everything in place. Using a palette knife I slathered on more white gesso to make the snow look real and drifted and trampled. I sprinkled on more glitter while those areas were still wet.

I can just about hear the cardinals calling to each other as the deer take their hushed steps through the snow.

Supply List

Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts
Leafy Branches with Birds - coming soon

Other
Acrylic paint
Gesso
StazOn Cotton White ink
Versamark embossing ink
Brilliance Pearlescent Poppy ink
Essential Glue pad
Glittery embossing powder
Glitter
Palette knife
Glue

Snowflake stamps by RubberMoon

No comments:

Post a Comment