Monday, December 7, 2015

Christmas Candle by Barb


What I love most about this time of year are the sparkly, twinkly lights and flickering candles all over the place. Back when I lived in my mountain cabin, I had a brick chimney that ran all the way up the wall to the ceiling. I packed as many candles as possible on the mantle! I don't have a fire place or chimney where I am now, but I can make do with a little imagination.

I began this project with a 5 x 7" canvas panel on which I sponged shades of red and brown acrylic paint. While it was still wet, I sprinkled it with "gingerbread" glitter (some glitter I've had forever that has a brown cast to it - it always reminds me of gingerbread!).

While I waited for the background to dry, I used white craft ink (directly from the ink pad onto the chip board) to color the bricks - or, what actually ends up being the grout between the bricks. Once everything was dry, I adhered the bricks to the background using clear Creative Medium. Using a palette knife, I spread blobs of white acrylic paint here and there to look like snow.

For the candle, I colored in everything using Pico Embellishers and added glitter to the wax part for some sparkle. When it was dry, I glued the candle, ribbon and flowers onto the background. A few splatters of irRESISTibles later, and I was done!

Supply List -

Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts
Candlesticks
Brick Wall 2

Other 5 x 7" canvas panel
Acrylic Paint
Glitter
Paper flowers
Ribbon
Imagine Crafts: Creative Medium, irRESISTibles spray, irRESISTibles Pico Embellisher
Glue
Palette knife

No comments:

Post a Comment