Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Make it Manly: Steampunk Collage Layout by Nancy


Hi everyone, Nancy here with a collage styled layout.  In keeping with the manly or masculine theme for this week I chose to create a Heritage/Steampunk style.  This theme was a little bit out of my comfort zone.  Yikes!....no flowers!,  but I really enjoyed the challenge.  Once I began looking through my gorgeous chippies, the project came together easily.  I'm really happy with the end result.  I think this would make a great gift for the man in your life when mounted inside of a 12 x 12 shadowbox frame under glass.

I used a variety of techniques on this layout.  The vintage photo came from a free collage sheet I'd downloaded.  I printed it out then cut it into four strips and mounted the strips on a mat.  I think it gave the photo a little more interest.  

The chipboard pieces were colored using different techniques.  The hot air balloon was colored with gelatos, I punched holes in the bottom section of the balloon with my Cropodile and connected it to the top section with jump rings.  The antique car was embossed with Stampendous shabby black embossing powder. The clock faces were inked with Prima chalk inks in various shades.  The hinges were given a rusty look with Tim Holtz distress embossing powders in vintage photo and antique linen.  The clock hands were embossed in copper.  The antique bike was inked in black and trimmed with a little gold rub n buff.

I really enjoyed incorporating all the collage elements with the chipboard pieces.  I hope you like it and that I've inspired you to try something different.

Supplies used:
Hot Air Balloon from Steampunk Shape Set
Faux Typewriter Keys (in gold color) - Special Order
Antique Car from Miniatures Shape Set - Guy Thing
Skeleton Clocks
Hinges 
Gears from Gears Shape Set
Antique Bicycle from Miniatures Shape Set - Guy Thing

3 comments:

  1. How fun - love this!!!! Especially like the hot air balloon....

    ReplyDelete
  2. just looked at this again, so cool! I was looking at all the different things you used to color and emboss with, paint, on the chipboard. I need to get some of that rusty look embossing powder. I ll probably use some of the techniques.

    ReplyDelete