Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Book of Love

I've been dreaming of this project for months and I'm so smitten with how it came out.


Perusing Instagram one day I spied a medieval painting with a young man holding a heart shaped book and I KNEW I wanted to make my own.


Apparently heart shaped books were quite popular during the late Middle Ages. A quick search and you'll find loads of beautiful antique examples. 


For my book, I've used paper from Graphic 45's Flower Shoppe (one of my favaourite collections
ever) and chopped up a  Rose Border for embellishment.


Inside I've covered each folio with music paper, and painted the pages with symbols associated with love and love magic.


A bit of advice: be sure that your layout is dry before moving on to the next. I had a couple of incidents of pages so in love they wanted to stick together and not be unstuck.


I added some stamped elements on a few pages and applied gold embossing powder. I think it gives a nice nod to the gilded illumination in old manuscripts.


There's runes and symbols and all sorts of love elements in my magic little book, but don't feel bound by my example.


The petite size of this book make it wonderful for exploring and experimenting. With just 7 layouts to complete, it's not an overwhelming commitment. AND the chippy pages are pretty great at accepting an enthusiastic application of mixed media. 


Want to see how I put this heart-shaped book of love together? Great! I've made a video to guide you though the process of making your own. Pop over HERE to see it


And here are all the bits I used:
Gypsy Soul Foam Stamps Coming Soon
Rose Border
music paper
scrapbook paper (Graphic 45's Flower Shoppe)
glue
hockey tape (cloth type)
acrylic paint
gold embossing powder









2 comments:

  1. This is beyond beautiful Nichola. I really do need to make my own now but it will be nowhere near as beautiful as yours <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic and inspiring. Of all my years of making books I’ve never made a heart shaped one. I want to try too!! Thanks for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete