Sunday, October 9, 2016

Create your own desk set with GSLC

Hi Everyone it's Teresa here with my first real post as a design team member for October and Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts.  I did a post recently using one of the Flourished frames and this sparked an idea to come up with a new desk set for my office.  I did a few projects to share today so I hope you have time to stay and check it all out and I even have a quick tutorial for the phone stand.


Here is the first 3 projects that i did.  I used the Business Card holder, the Wrought Iron set, the Flourished Frames and the Tablet Phone stand for my projects.  I had the perfect papers from Maja Design to mix and match for it and all I needed was some pretty flowers and paint and I was set to go. On the business card holder I cut up one of the frames and used it to add more detail to both the top and bottom of the holder.  It matched really well with my little box and the frame that I did on the left for paper clips and other little trinkets that I seem to collect on my desk.


This is my phone stand and who wouldn't want this beauty to hold up your phone while it is charging away.  The beautiful and delicate details in the wrought iron really made this a show piece for me. 

Below is a step by step to show you how I did it so grab a cup of coffee and lets do this!


1. First take a small flat brush and paint a light coat of chalk paint on all of you pieces.  Top and bottom and front and back.  Let it dry and if it needs a second coat add another thin layer.  


2. To whiten it even more add chalk paint on top with a dabbing motion.  This will whiten it without giving you paint drips on the sides of the delicate laser cuts.  Use a clear spray or mat finish paint to seal all the pieces.  Then you can add rhinestones or pearls to the tops like I did.


3.  For the Phone stand you need the fence pieces in white and you can cut papers to cover your phone stand.  I measured each piece that i wanted to cover and then made it 1/4 inch smaller so that the edges would show on my piece.  Then i chalked around all the edges to make it more vintage.  I glued them on with my favorite Quick Dry adhesive by Scotch. This works great and doesn't leave those horrible bubbles on your papers.  And the best part is that it drys really, really fast.  

*A tip for the intricate pieces that you use is put some glue down on your plastic mat and spread it out flat--- then take your fancy pieces and rub them wrong side down into the glue gently.  The pieces will get coated in adhesive and not have a lot of drips showing.  Then just press them on to where you need them.




4. To finish it you can glue on the white wrought iron pieces on the back and on the front bar.  I also added a small spray of flowers to the top right to fancy mine up a little.  I really love shabby chic things and this was really fun to make for me and my desk.


Above is a quick closeup of how I did the business card stand.  This was super easy to make.


And this is a closeup of the trinket box.  I used a purchased box from my local craft supply store for this one and just covered it in matching papers and then added the frame to the top.  Super easy!!

Thanks so much for stopping by today and don't forget to leave a comment!

Supply List for my desk ensemble:

Gypsy Soul Laser Cut Products:

Papers: Maja Design
Vintage Summer and Autumn Collection
Americana chalk paint in white/paintbrush 
Chalk ink in Gingerbread and white

flowers, rhinestones, Scotch Quick dry adhesive, double sided tape, 
ruler, pencil, scissors and a paper trimmer

No comments:

Post a Comment