Thursday, October 10, 2019

Haunted House Halloween Shaker Card

Hi there Crafty Friends!

I'm back today with a colourful Halloween card for you using these fab chipboard pieces, embossing powder and Distress Oxides.


Let's Get Started!


Here are the chipboard pieces you will need - Haunted House Oval and Halloween Word Set.

I chose to use the "Haunted" word to go with my haunted house but "wicked" and "frightful" would also fit on a 5.5 inch wide card front.


Making a cool background using Distress Oxide sprays is really easy and this technique gives you two backgrounds for the price of one!

Cut two pieces of identically sized cardstock, then spray one of them with Distress Oxide Sprays of your choice - I used Mustard Seed, Abandoned Coral and Seedless Preserves - and a quick spritz or two of water.  Then press the second piece of cardstock on top of the other, and smooth them out with your fingers, before peeling them apart.  You should have two similar backgrounds but they will not be exactly the same!  Choose your favourite of the two, and carry on.


At this point I wanted to chose the cardstock for my card base, and I went with this Plum Punch cardstock from Gina K which looks nice against the Seedless Preserves.  I'm making quite a large card here, which takes one full piece of cardstock folded in half to make a 5.5 x 8.5 inch card. What can I say - I like big cards and I cannot lie!  I cut my Oxide background down to 5.25 x 8.25 inches, just enough to leave a small border around the outside.


Next, as we are making a shaker card, cut a piece of acetate to fit behind the Haunted House chippie.  You can use a circle die for this or you can just draw around the Haunted House shape and cut it out with scissors.  This is an oval shape not a circle, so it's just as easy to do it by hand with scissors than use a circle die and then have to cut it to an oval anyway.  But I like options so I'm giving you two :)



At this point, I gathered all my pieces together ready for heat embossing.  I also added some Tim Holtz die cut bats but they missed out on the above photo opportunity.  I used this shiny but not too shiny Black Glint embossing powder by Wow on the house and bats, and this chunky Rocky Road embossing powder by Emerald Creek on the Haunted word chippie.



Time to make the shaker!  Carefully glue the House chippie to the acetate around the oval shape and several places on the house shape, the moon, the bat, the little trees etc, making sure not to overdo the glue as you don't want it showing on the front!

Then take some foam tape and use it to edge around the entire oval shape making sure not to leave any spaces where your shaker materials could escape!  I am using black foam tape here so that it blends in better but you could use white and just paint the edges before you stick it on the card.  My tape is 0.5 inch wide so I cut it in thin strips the same thickness as the oval shape and then added thicker parts at the bottom where the house is.  I used two layers of foam tape one on top of the other, as it can be helpful to give whatever you put inside your shaker, more room to move about.  Also important is to use an anti-static tool on all the foam edges to make sure that the shaker materials don't stick to it or you won't get anything to shake!




Time to assemble the card!  I distressed the edges of both the card base and the background and inked them with Black Soot Archival ink.  Then adhere the Oxide background to the card base.



Decide where on your card you want to place your Haunted House and make sure you have it centred.  I used a T-Ruler and an acrylic block to mark where I wanted to put it, and then put the little bundle of sequins and stars in the middle of where the Haunted House would be stuck.  I peeled off the backing tape and lined up the house with the blocks I had placed on the card to ensure it was centred and level, and stuck it down.  It can be helpful just to place something like an acrylic block on top just to hold it down for a few minutes.


Then I adhered the Haunted word chippie and three additional little die cut bats to the card and it was complete!



...Or was it?

There was one more step I wanted to add, and that was some yellow Nuvo drops to the centre of the moon which would otherwise be clear.  It's perfectly fine to leave it clear but I really wanted that yellow moon.  You could also add colour behind the house windows with Nuvo drops or coloured paper (more options!) but I wanted the colour of the Oxides to show through. And now the card was complete!



Hope you enjoyed this Halloween card tutorial!

Till next time,

Elle
Empire Of The Cat



PROJECT RECIPE for Haunted House Halloween Shaker Card:

GSL Cuts Haunted House Oval - Model D12K, Halloween Word Set D81F
Wow Embossing ink, Black Glint embossing powder
Emerald Creek - Rocky Road embossing powder
Heat gun for melting embossing powder
Nuvo Deluxe Adhesive, Nuvo Drops - Dandelion Yellow
Tim Holtz Distress Oxide Sprays - Mustard Seed, Abandoned Coral, Seedless Preserves, Distress Archival in Black Soot,
Tim Holtz Bat Crazy Sizzix dies
Gina K - Plum Punch Cardstock
From Stash:  scrap of acetate, double sided tape, black foam tape, green sequins, silver stars, black stars

2 comments: