Thursday, June 9, 2016

Art Journal Page - "Altered Art"

Hello everyone.  Barbara here sharing a fun art journal page with none other than the fabulous laser cut chippies from Gypsy Soul, and this cool Mailbox Muse stamp set from our partners, Altered Pages.  The stamps I received set the tone for my art journal page.



I started with an art journal page that did not turn out as I expected.  



So, I taped the middle with masking tape to protect the rest of the book, and painted the pages with white gesso.  This will give me a nice base to start over.



I had to cover the masking tape over the "sun" with another layer of sand texture paste to make it all match.

Paint the sun with ColourArte Solar Gold Silks.



Paint the right side with Black Emerald and the left side with Autumn Skies Silks to represent day and night.  Don't worry about the brushstrokes now. 



Paint two chipboard pieces from the Mixed Media Fragments #2 set.



Glue to each page, as shown, cutting off the excess. 



Spray the right side with Fern and left side with Snapdragon Radiant Rain Mists.  Mist the pages with water to help the colors run toward the center of the page.  Dry thoroughly before misting both pages with the Pearl Gold mist.

Add Orange Peel Silks to the sun, blending the color into the Solar Gold.



Stamp the flower image all over the background and onto the chipboard with black archival ink.  I stamped the partial image mostly to add interest, so I did not attach it to an acrylic stamp mount.  Simply curl the stamp and press the portion that touches the page.  


Stamp ETCETERA with black archival ink, top right and lower left, as shown.  I did use a stamp block to ensure a clean image.


I chose the chipboard pieces I wanted to use, painted them with white gesso, and laid them out to see how they will look.


Color the chipboard pieces as follows:




Flourishes 2 = Lemondrop + Stargazer + Lumiere Gold Pearl 

Three Stars = Lemondrop + Stargazer

Hinge Straps = Chestnut Brown + Orange Peel +  Lumiere Brass

While the chipboard is drying, use black archival ink to stamp ALTERED ARTIST and the "eclectic" definition onto deli wrap paper. 


Tear around the images and adhere to the journal page with a gloss medium, smoothing out any air bubbles.  The deli wrap disappears into the surface.  Attach the chipboard pieces to the page, as shown.


To add some highlights around the sun and stars, and around the edges, I used a white pen and smudged the in before it dried.  Below are a few closeups of each page.  I printed the words "Sunrise" on the left page, and "Sunset" on the right.  I think that no matter what time of the day, I am always playing at my art, whether actually making something, or just thinking about my next project.  I am sure most of you are doing the same.  



GSL Supplies Used:

Mixed Media Fragments #2
Hinge Straps Shape Set
Flourishes 2
Celestial Shape Set

Other Supplies Used:

Altered Pages Mailbox Muse Altered Artist stamp set
Dylusions 6"x9" art journal
ColourArte Silks - Solar Gold, Black Emerald, Autumn Skies, Orange Peel, Chestnut Brown, Lemondrop, Stargazer
ColourArte Radiant Rain Mists - Fern, Snapdragon, Pearl Gold
Luminarte 3D Paint - Brass, Pearl Gold
Faber-Castell Pitt Big Brush Pen - white
Sand Texture Paste
White gesso
Masking tape

Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts chipboard makes excellent embellishments for lots of projects, but I think they are especially wonderful for adding texture to art journal pages without adding that unwanted bulk.  I hope you have been inspired by my project today and that you will stop by the store to see all of the laser cuts available for all of your art needs.  And don't forget to check out our partner this month, Altered Pages, for more fun items to use in your art, as well.

Thanks for stopping by, and have a wonderful, crafty day!!!

Barbara

4 comments:

  1. As always, your work inspires me to try new things. Love the way you've combined so many different techniques and materials to create a completely unified whole. And it's so lovely, to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Tristan. You always make me feel so special.

    ReplyDelete