In Folklore, the witching hour or devil’s hour is the time of night when supernatural creatures are thought to be their most powerful, a time of magic and mischief. One of our favorite musicals is “Wicked” the untold story or the re-imagining of “The Wizard of Oz.” More recently I’ve started following “Nocturne” a storytelling show that explores the night, the landscape of the unseen, and how thoughts, feelings and behaviors transform in the dark. These are the inspirations for this instillation.
1. Cover all pieces of Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts-ATC Shrine - Time with a variety of green Metallic Paints. Do this quickly and randomly use a dry brush technique.
2. Once dry, fill in any empty spaces with TH Crushed Olive Distress Stain.
3. Working quickly before pieces dry, sprinkle with Allure Forest Foliage Embossing Powders.
4. Cure with a Heat Tool.
5. Assemble GSLC ATC Time Shrine and secure with Weldbond.
6. Make a photocopy of a witch of your choosing. Decide what type of material you want to print it on.
7. Cut and secure to inside of GSLC ATC Time Shrine using Glossy Accent as an adhesive. Once in gently coat photocopy with a thin layer of Glossy Accent.
8. Use a skull stamp and black permanent ink to make a transparency to put behind clock face.
9. Trace with a circle template and glue to a Scrap of TH Abandoned Paper using Weldbond.
10. Take apart Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts-Trading Coin Covers Halloween. Trimmed cat on fence so that I could use it inside the shrine.
11. Paint coin covers with watercolors.
12. Use a metallic green paint to paint the edges of coin covers.
13. Use a bit of paper clay to make a ledge to secure cat on a fence piece inside the shrine. Securing with Weldbond.
14. Paint with green paint and sprinkle with Allure Forest Foliage Embossing Powder and Set with a Heat Tool.
15. Attach two Coin covers to clock face, one inside and one outside. Secure in place with metal clamps.
16. Once dry add a TH Clock Key as a handle securing with a Screwdriver and adding a bit of Weldbond.
Some Final Thoughts. I like the idea of magic and mischief cohabiting in the midnight hours and re-imaging long-held perspectives. Wicked Quotes: “Everyone Deserves the Chance to Fly”
“I’ve heard it said that people come into our lives for a reason, bringing something we must learn, we are led to those who help us grow the most if we let them, and we help them in return. Well, I don’t know if that is true. But I know I am today because I knew you.”
“The trouble with school is they always teach the wrong lesson. Believe me, I’ve been kicked out of enough to know. They want you to become less callow, less shallow, But I say ‘Why invite stress in? Stop studying strife and learn to live the unexamined life.’”
I have several favorite episodes of “Nocturne” among them being “I’m a Monster” a gay man journey into embracing his true self as he portrays a monster in haunted attractions, “Finding the Void” about a secret apartment hidden in the bowels of a giant mall, and “Blackfish” the story of Malcolm Saunders, a fishermen from Cornwall, on the southern tip of the UK. These are just a few of my most revisited episodes.
Supplies: Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts-ATC Shrine - Time, Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts-Trading Coin Covers Halloween, Metallic Green Acrylic Paints, Paintbrush, TH Distress Stain Crushed Olive, Allure Forest Foliage Embossing Powder, Heat Tool, Weldbond, Photocopy of Witch, Glossy Accents, Skull Stamp, Black Permanent Ink Pad, Transparency Scrap, Scrap TH Abandoned Paper, Circle Template, Pen, Watercolors, Paper Clay, Metal Clamps, TH Clock Key, Screwdriver
I cannot wait to see your interpretation of this project. Share it on the Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Craft Group Page on Facebook. I would love to see what new creations you are working on!