Thursday, May 27, 2021

Make a Galaxy Background Card

Hello everyone,
Today I have my second GSL DT post for April and this time, I have a card featuring a galaxy background and some heat embossed elements that could be used as a birthday card or encouragement card.

Galaxy Background

Cut a piece of watercolour paper measuring 5.5 x 8.5 inches.  Start the design by drawing in some zodiac constellations.  You can find a chart of all zodiac constellations here.

For this card, I used Taurus, Gemini and Cancer and drew them in with a wax pencil.  You can also use a wax crayon instead.  If you don't want specific star signs, you could draw random patterns or you could draw one big one using the star sign of the card recipient.

For my galaxy background I started off with this lovely turquoise colour, but you could use blues, purples, greens etc.


Then I added in some purples and payne's grey around the outside.  Black could be used instead of payne's grey.

Keep adding paint and layers, drying in between until you are happy with how it looks.  For an extra pop of colour I added this bright green in the centre along with some magenta.  

Adding star details

Once the watercolour background is dry, I added some white acrylic paint splatters to represent stars of various sizes.



Use a stiff bristle brush and flick the paint to add a fine spray and then splatter some bigger drops.


For added interest add some gold metallic ink splatter to the background.  If your constellations aren't bright enough you can draw over them again with the same wax pencil/crayon.

 

Chipboard Embellishments

For the sentiment I used this Smile curly word chipboard but I cut it in half to fit on the card front, then gave it a coat of white gesso.

 

Once the gesso was dry, I used some white embossing powder to heat emboss the word and the curly tail.

I also used these gold stars that were already altered in this post and glued them into place using PVA glue.

To make the card base, use one piece of 8.5 x 11 inch card, fold it in half along the short side, and adhere the card front to it and that's the card completed.  If you want any further embellishments, draw some little star/asterisks on with white pen. as shown below.


Hope you enjoyed this post.  Till next time, 


Elle
Empire of the Cat


Project Recipe:

Smile curly word D147E
Deco Stars D88S
watercolour paper, watercolour paint, acrylic paint, acrylic ink, white wax pencil or crayon, card base, white embossing powder, embossing ink, white gesso


1 comment: