Wednesday, July 22, 2020

The Ties That Bind-Collecting Curiosities-A Peek-a-Boo-Project

Whereas my last tutorial was simple and sweet and easy peasy, this one is complicated and took on a life of its own. I'm surprised and intrigued by the final project. Join me in this journey of layer and textures.
I've collected Martha Stewart Magazine Images from when I used to be a subscriber. The one article was about collecting insects and the photography was rich and organic, it is the inspiration behind this masterpiece.  It also honors the recent sale of our family homestead in Pennsylvania. We are healing and moving on, standing on the shifting sands of time dipping into a cool oasis of memories.   

1.  Cut GSLC 6 by 4 Specimen Box. I am using unorthodox techniques and definitely not prescribed by most designers. 
2.  I first randomly glued pieces of vintage text all over all of the pieces of the specimen box.
3.  Once dry I rubbed off part of the text using a damp cloth.
4.  Next I used a sanding block to rediscover the slots I will need to assemble the box.
5.  I then made a glaze out of Matte Varnish and Acrylic Nickel Gold Paint.
6. I assembled the box using Weldbond to hold it all together.
   7. Once fully dried I sprayed with TH Distress Oxides and added water and alcohol to I found layers I was pleased with.
8.  Once fully dry I sealed with Cheap hairspray.
9.  While hair spray is still wet I sprinkled with spices to give it a dusty organics look.
10.                Not satisfied with the layers I cut up magazine images and patch worked together the individual chambers.
11.                I added edging to the sides of my specimen box with strips of paper and washi tape.
12.                Still not feeling the project complete I want into my GSLC stash and settled on the Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts-Acorn Border Set, Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts-Honeycomb & Queen Bees ATC Sized and added the to my vignettes.
13.                I used Clear Embossing Ink and Charred Gold Embossing Powder on the Acorn boarders.
14.                I used a Black Sharpie, Golden Hansa Yellow Light Acrylic paint, Nail Polish to decorate the bees.
15.                I used Clear Embossing Ink and Vantage Beeswax  Embossing Powder on the Honeycombs.
16.                I used Rub'n Buff Autumn Gold and Gold Leaf on the GSLC Crown and Crosses.
17.                I finally assembled my specimen box using Weldbond and double sided foam dots to layer all pieces.
Some Final Thoughts.
This art project had many twists and turns, many setbacks and follow-throughs. I had to problem solve and step away but in the end I like the story it tells. We are families of our own choosing, stuck together through thick and thin, sometimes sweet as honey others as bitter as vinegar, we carry our crosses for other to sometime see but often hidden beneath out crooked crowns, We are busy as bees collectors of curiosities. Layers upon layers, hidden and healed, brilliant and perplexing. this project reminded me of one of my favorite podcasts I like to listen to, Here Be Monsters, it took me a while to get into it because there are layers and the topics they discuss are sometime challenging and makes me feel uneasy. They describe it as a podcast created by and for people interested in pursuing their fears and facing the unknown. It's a bit of a "freak show"  a collection of curiosities, which I find intriguing and interesting. There is an image on my project that is distorted in the upper right hand corner, she appears to be a dog-faced woman I wonder what story she has to tell and how all these curiosities fit together.
 
 
 
 
 

Supplies:  Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts-6 by 4 Specimen Box, Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts-Acorn Border Set, Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts-Honeycomb & Queen Bees ATC Sized, Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts-Gothic Cross Miniature,  Uhu Glue Stick, Vintage Text, Mister with Water and Rubbing Alcohol, Cloth, Sanding Block, Matte Varnish, Gold Nickel, Acrylic Paint, Tim Holtz Distress Oxide Sprays-Pistachio, Marmalade, Amber Fired Brick, Cheap Hairspray, Spices, Magazine Images,  Washi Tape, Clear Embossing Ink Roller, Allure Charred Gold and Vintage Beeswax Embossing Powder a, Heating Tool, Black Sharpie, Golden Hansa Yellow Light Acrylic paint, Nail Polish, Rub'n Buff Autumn Gold and Gold Leaf, Weldbond, Double Sided Foam Dots,

I cannot wait to see your interpretation of this project. Share it on the Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Craft Group Page on Facebook. I would love to see what new creations you are working on!

1 comment:

  1. Really enjoyed reading that Jon David, such an interesting journey from beginning to end. Did the dog faced woman also come from the Martha Stewart magazine?

    ReplyDelete