Saturday, June 22, 2019

Make Your Alphabet Mechanical by Betsy Skagen

What to you do when you have no idea about what to create? Some people turn to Pinterest for inspiration and some turn to YouTube. Sometimes I do that, but more often I just let the creativity flow.

This was one of  those times. When I sat down at my desk I had no idea in mind. For quite some time I had been wanting to make something with Gypsy Soul's Alphabet Stencil Blanks, but never had any inspiration. So I picked up a one of the letters and flipped it around it my hands. Soon, I decided it might pair well with a Trading Coaster.

I began wondering what I could put inside the letter to make it interesting and decided I should use some gears. Now, I had the beginning of an idea in mind, but no particular plan.

To get started, I began painting the Steampunk Shape Set with quinacridone nickel azo gold, burnt umber, teal, sky blue and yellow acrylic paint to to create faux metal pieces.
Next I rounded the edges of the alphabet stencil blank and then covered it and a 4" inch coaster with gesso.
After the gesso dried, I blended teal ink onto the trading coaster, covered the alphabet stencil with a page from a vintage book and blended brown ink around the edges to give it an aged appearance.
Next I glued my steampunk pieces onto the trading coaster so that it would line up with the letter J opening. 
I adhered additional components to the face of the alphabet stencil, and used Beacon Fabri-Tac to adhere translucent beads and a metal phrase.
I then painted some metallic ribbon and its spool to transform them into a hanger. I added an extra gear for decoration.

To finish the piece, I cut a piece of cardboard slightly larger than my coaster and tore off the backing to expose the corrugated surface. I then inked the cardboard with teal and brown inks and glued it to the coaster.

I was pleased with how this relatively quick project turned out--especially since I let free-flowing creativity guide its creation. Next time you feel like you are in a creative rut, instead of turning to Pinterest, YouTube or someone else for inspiration, try trusting your own creative process.

Have a wonderful and creative weekend! Betsy


Great Stuff

Steampunk Shape Set
Alphabet Stencil Blanks
4" Trading Coaster
Brown and Teal ink
Vintage book page
Translucent beads
Gesso
Metal phrase
Beacon Fabri-Tac
Acrylic paint: quinacridone nickel azo gold, burnt umber, teal, sky blue and yellow
Metallic ribbon and ribbon spool
Corrugated cardboard

1 comment:

  1. I love steampunk and textures so this is right up my alley. I love the colors you used to create a rusty appeal!! a really lovely project I love how the alphabet forms act like drama for what lies beneath

    ReplyDelete