Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Na Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na, Hey, Hey Hey Goodbye-A Peek-A-Boo Project

 

To say I am happy to see 2020 fade into the sunset is  a huge understatement. Never in my life could I have imagined a year so full and angst and frustration. In my 32 years of teaching it was by far my most challenging year. We started out teaching virtually to a group of students we have never met face to face, they on their devices appearing as a colored lettered circle on my laptop Google Meet. We finally went to a hybrid model which was even worse than the original all virtual model as I was teaching a group of students socially distanced in my classroom 6 feet apart, while simultaneously I had another group of student learning virtually.

I  missed out going to the sale of our family homestead, that had been in our family for over 80 years.  I have not been back to Pennsylvania since last spring.  When I return my childhood home will no longer be ours. I have photographs and memories I'll need to process when I am able to go pay my last respects.

I had wounds on my feet that would not heal and I  could not enjoy a quiet early morning walk through my newly discovered older neighborhood from early in the pandemic. I would take walks through the narrow streets and alleyways seeking signs of life, beholding bits or beauty, and hunting for hints of hope.

All of our art shows were canceled and time in my studio making my creations came to a screeching halt in September. This project is one of my first attempts at being creative again.

I am still very weary from the journey as I still go into school to teach my students virtually from my classroom, trying to convey any sense of normalcy.  I have tried to stay positive and maintain balance and a sense of humor.  This is the long introduction, to my longest titled blog post to date and the inspiration for this cheeky banner.

1.1. Gather your supplies, we will start with the GSLC Number Cards and white acrylic paint.

     2. On a protective surface quickly  cover the GSLC Number Cards with white acrylic paint we are not aiming for perfection but want some of the chipboard to show through. Be sure to paint on both sides as this will help the chipboard to stay flat.

3. While paint is still wet sprinkle with Infusion Walnut Stains- I used Rusty Car, Lemoncello, Slime, and Emerald Green.

4. Spray gently with spray bottle. Can set with a heating tool if you so desire. I do because I am an impatient artist.
5. Use Weldbond to attach prepared GSLC Number Cards to Thick Black Cardstock.
6. Cover with waxed paper.
7. Allow to dry fully pressing down with heavy books.
                           
8. While the GSLC Number Cards are drying using the same process described above to paint and patina your GSLC Corona Shapes. Do not cut out individual pieces but paint in its entirety. Once fully dry carefully remove desired pieces.
                             
9. When GSLC Corona Shapes are dry cut them apart with scissors.   
                       
   10. Once all GSLC Number Cards are separated lay out the GSLC Corona Shape Pieces you want to use on each slide.
                      
 11. Find Alphabet Paper set and choose the letters to spell the phrase of your choosing.
    
                           
 1   12. Assemble cards using Weldbond to attach each piece, cover with waxed 
        paper allow to dry flat a fully, being weighted down with heavy books.
         13. Next we will use Crop-A-Dile Eyelet and Snap Punch to punch holes into the top corners adding decorative eyelets in a variety of colors.
14. Use decorative ribbon to attach the completed GSLC Number Cards.
   I put ribbon through the front of the cards and taped down with scotch table
  15.As I did not want the scotch tape to show I cut pieces of decorative paper to 
seal in the tape and give the back of the cards a more finished appeal.   
Some Final Thoughts.

There are many songs I could use to end this post, Over the Rhine-Don't Let The Bastards Get You DownSimon & Garfunkel-Bridge Over Troubled WaterTracy Chapman-Fast CarSeal-Crazy among others. The title is taken from an oldie Steam-Na Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na, Hey Hey Hey, Kiss Him Goodbye. Any of these songs could adequately describe by salutations to 2020. May we find ourselves in a better brighter world soon. 

Supplies:  Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts-Number CardsGypsy Soul Laser Cuts-Corona Shapes, white acrylic paint, paintbrush, Infusion Walnut Stains-Rusty Car, Lemoncello, Slime, Emerald Green, Spray Bottle of Water, Heating Tool, Weldbond Glue, Thick Black Cardstock, Waxed Paper, Heavy Book, Scissors, Letter Pieces, Eyelets, Crop-A-Dile Eyelet and Snap Punch, Decorative Ribbon, Scotch Tape, Decorative Paper, Matte Gel Medium

I cannot wait to see your interpretation of this project. Share it on the Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Craft Group Page on Facebook. I would love to see what new creations you are working on!

 

1 comment: