Friday, January 5, 2018

Open a New Page

Hello!! Jennalee here with my first post of 2018. I am sure like many of you the New Year is a new slate and offers a blank page for new dreams. And who doesn't love a nice notebook to jot down notes? As you may know, I love using houses in my art and thought of these simple but amazing Simple House Ornaments in my stash and got to thinking about how they would make the perfect covers for a book. This is an easy project that is taken up a level with a simple Coptic stitch which was one of my goals to learn and practice in 2018, and believe me I definitely need more practice.




I started by painting both front and back of the Simple House Ornaments pieces with Raw Umber. I did one light coat and it offered a wood-like look to the chipboard pieces. 


On the front of one ornament, I did a simple collage with various pieces of vintage text and sheet music. I applied the collage with Distress Medium. Once dry I used a palette knife to add a few random swipes of Gesso to the collage. To add some interest I stamped this image of a postmark and French postage stamp and then layered a vintage French stamp on top. 


To make the pages I made signatures of 3 pages each folded in half. I then traced around one of the house shapes and cut out. I used 6 signatures in my book. I just searched YouTube for a tutorial on how to do the Coptic stitch. This was my first time trying it. It is a simple technique but one that I need to fine tune just a little more. 



To finish off my cover I heat embossed a key for the Keys and Plates Shape Set and adhered using Distress Collage Medium. 



I will probably use my little book to write quotes in. I can see many more of these in my future though!! Wishing you a creative and happy new year!! ~Jennalee 

1 comment:

  1. Jennalee, I adore this! I love the houses painted in that raw umber and the collaged cover is just beautiful. I am in awe that this is your first time doing the stitching! Such a creative idea for keeping inspiring quotes.

    ReplyDelete