It's Elle again with another fun project using some cool chipboard elements to make a card suitable for many occasions or for any gearheads out there!
LET'S GET STARTED - TRUCK PAINT JOB
Firstly, give the edges a wipe down with a slightly damp cloth or paper to remove the residue left by laser cutting. Then paint the chipboards with a layer of white gesso followed by a layer of blue acrylic paint. For this rusty truck effect, I am using two different paint colours - blue and jade.
After the paint was dry, I added the metallic paint using a sponging technique, except I used a paper towel, which works just as well.
Keep adding more paint until you are happy with the effect - make sure you let all the layers dry in between applications!
For the background, I selected some gelli printed backgrounds I made last September. This technique creates a peeled paint/weathered wood effect and you can read more about that technique on my blog as it's not covered in this tutorial, but if you have a gel plate you might want to try it out as it creates a very cool effect and it's really fun to do! At the time, I made nearly 20 of these backgrounds using this technique!
I pulled together all the bits and pieces I wanted to use on the card to see how they would work together and snapped a photo of it for reference later!
Then I cut the card down to size - 8.5 x 5.5 inches - and covered it with transparent gesso
Once the gesso was dry (only a few minutes) I added some paint splatters and brush-strokes around the edges just for some extra interest and texture.
Using a blending brush, I inked the edges with some Vintage Photo Distress Ink to make it look a little more vintage.
I added some random stamping in the lighter areas using some light grey Archival Ink
I selected a co-ordinating cardstock for the card base and adhere the background to it.
Before adding the truck to the card, I decided to add a layer of cardstock underneath the chipboard to show through the cutouts, and to add some clear acetate for the windows using some old packaging.
This particular bit of acetate has a small crack in it and I like how it looks like the truck has a crack in the windscreen! I also painted the windows with some diluted fluid acrylic paint to tint them a little.
TRUCK CARD ASSEMBLY LINE
Time to assemble the card - refer back to the reference photo if needed - and adhere all the elements in place on the card front. I added some touches of colour on the girl and woman's hair and shoes and stockings, added some ephemera snippets and word stickers and a stamped quote to the centre of the gear frame and the card was complete!
Here's a couple of close ups so you can better see the rusty effect
Till next time,
Empire of the Cat
PROJECT RECIPE:GSL Cuts - Truck 1 C25C,Chain and Gears Frame D20H
Tim Holtz baseboard dolls, word stickers, Distress Markers, Distress Ink, Snippets, Stuff 2 Say Stamp set CMS110
Finnabair - Azure, Jade acrylic paint, Sepia, Turquoise liquid acrylic, White Gesso, Transparent Gesso
Jane Davenport - Copper metallic acrylic
Archival Ink - Watering Can
Gina K cardstock
Nuvo Deluxe Adhesive
From Stash: gel printed backgrounds, acetate from cake box, blending brush