Tuesday, July 9, 2024

Don’t Step on a Bee Day-A Peek-a-Boo Project

I love how everything has its own special day. I am betting this is one that many of you may not have heard of or celebrated. Today July 10, 2024 is Don’t Step on aBee Day. It is observed every year on July 10 in the United Kingdom. Bees have been around for centuries and are closely related to wasps. They are mostly found in every part of the world that has insect-pollinated flowering plants. Bees are essential to our survival and play a big role in balancing our ecosystem. They are great pollinators, produce honey, and give us food. This day marks the importance of the existence of these insects and the work that they do.


As most Americans are celebrating our freedom from British Rule this time of year I thought this would be a nice non partisan way to celebrate this little known holiday to us. This is the inspiration for this artwork.


  1. Gather Supplies.
  2. Use UHU Glue stick to attach Magazine images to GSLC Little Niche Sun Burst Pieces.
  3. Trim with Scissors.
  4. Use Nail File to Smooth off Edges.
  5. Put Bottom of GSCL Little Niche Together with Glue and Washi Tape. Secure with Clips on Edges if Necessary.
  6. Add Washi Tape Details to Top Portion of GLSC Little Niche.
  7. Use UHU GlueStick to Add Magazine Scraps to This Portion Also.
  8. Use Acrylic Paint of Your Choosing to Paint GSLC Honeycomb and Queen Bees ATC size. I Used Yellow, Iridescent Blue, Metallic Gold, Orange, Yellow, Green, WeldBond Glue.
  9. Add Details with A Black Sharpie Pen.
  10. Assemble Vignette for Inside Bottom Portion of GSLC Little Niche.
  11. Attach Top Portion of GSLC Little Niche to Bottom Portion, Securing Again with Clips to Fully Dry.
  12. Add Bee and Crown Details Once Dry to Outside of Niche Using WeldBond.


Final Thought

Almost every day of the year is linked to its own holiday or remembrance. I like these lesser known celebrations, it makes each day a bit more magical.

I wrote about this process in an essay titled, Death of a Dignity, it was about my love/hate relationship with Martha Stewart. In Part 


“Last night I dreamt I danced at Martha Stewart's funeral. A rather odd dream if left unexamined. Most people have a love/hate relationship with their idols. I love Martha Stewart for her interesting ideas, she celebrated the eclectic. She was the first person who told me it didn't have to match. She took ordinary items and made them extraordinary, a motto I have tried to live by. She made a habit trying to look for the "good things" in life. She rescued treasures from tag sale. She celebrated the obscure occasions; traveled to exotic locales. She was an underdog who had made it big. Hers was the Cinderella story, from the one bedroom apartment to several estates in prominent neighborhoods; from the one serving the guests to being the host of her own lavish parties, having a staff that would come to her beck and call. She had become a celebrity.

I loved all these things about Martha and so much more. The joke at many of my gatherings would go something like this "Wouldn't Martha be proud?" or "Look out Martha, Jon David is in town!" or "Martha has nothing on ME!””

I admire and respect Martha Stewart; some days I even envy her. But, last night I dreamt I danced at her funeral not because I am mentally disturbed. I danced in celebration of what she stood for and what I had become. I danced for my freedom and her forced exit. I danced to remember. I danced to forget. And as I danced I was reminded that I too with her wealth, and along with her crews of thousand, I could also create her over the top magical moments and huge productions.

But, as I lay my "floral arrangement of the month" upon her graveside I was also reminded that I can turn an apple into a tart, a book into a memory, a card into a collection, a dreary day into a dawning, an eggplant into an exotic centerpiece, a fig into a fabulous dessert, a gathering into gladness, a host into a friend, an icicle into a winter montage, juice into sangria, kelp into a California roll, a letter into a legacy, a map into a mural, an ordinary occasion into a celebration, a pear can be poached and become breakfast, a quest an incredible adventure, a raven may even become my pet, a stove is a gallery, a table a conversation piece, a universe gets captured on my bathroom walls, a vase becomes a vision, a wall is turned into a wonderland, a Xerox is easily transformed into stationary, and, given the opportunity I could even find a few interesting uses for a zebra.

So come and dance at Martha Stewart's funeral. Dance not because you are disturbed, but, come dance because each of us need to know who we can become if given the opportunity.  But most of all come dance because it is time to say goodbye to all those fears that entrap you and dream once again. So Good Night my sweet Martha. Keep growing and learning because we love the way you show us to look at our world through new eyes.

The essay can be read in its full here: Death of a Dignity

If we have eyes to see let us see the bits of beauty that surrounds us each and every blessed day.

Other Blogs I have written about bees:

Bees in August

Saving the Bees 




Supplies: GSLC Little Niche Sun BurstGSLC Honeycomb & Queen Bees ATC SizedMagazine Images, UHU GlueStick, Scissors, Nail File, Washi Tape, Acrylic Paint, Yellow, Iridescent Blue, Metallic Gold, Orange, Yellow, Green, WeldBond Glue, paintbrush, Sharpie Pen

I cannot wait to see your interpretation of this project. Share it on the Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Craft Group Page on Facebook. I would love to see what new creations you are working on!


No comments:

Post a Comment