Thursday, March 19, 2020

Playing around . . .

Hi Everyone.

Nancy here with you today and playing around with one of Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts XLG tags.

These tags are heavy chipboard and will hold up well to any medium. They come 3 to a package and measure 4.75" W x 11.25" T. And this is just one of the sizes/shapes GSLCuts offers!

Find all the tags here:

Step 1:  I basecoated the tag with Prima Chalkboard Paint in Eggshell color. Because I knew I was going to use the new Tim Holtz Glaze embossing powders, I wanted the glaze to sit on a light color background rather than a dark background.

Keep in mind that the glazes are somewhat *see-through* - like glazing a cake - and will take on properties from the background you emboss them to.


You will get subtle differences depending on the undercolor.  Here's the same color glaze (Vintage Photo) on white cardstock vs kraft cardstock:


I found a wood grain stencil in my stash but it was out of the package and no manufacturer listed on the stencil. (sorry)

Step 2: Using the found stencil, I placed it over the tag and used clear VersaMark ink and blotted it over the stencil using direct to paper.


Then poured on the Vintage Photo Glaze powder and heat set.


As you can see in the photo above, I did have to move the stencil but not too worried about that *line of demarcation* as it would (1) be covered with ink and (2) I'll be adding things over it anyway.

Step 3: Once the glaze was heat set, I applied Distress Ink. The first layer was Vintage Photo Distress Ink over the entire tag. Then the edges were covered with Espresso Distress Ink. The last step was direct to tag by running the  Espresso Distress Ink pad over the tag from top to bottom.


If you don't press too hard with the Espresso Distress Ink pad, you will get subtle shades again, allowing the background to show through.


Let dry or use a heat gun to dry the ink being careful not to get the heat gun too close to the tag or it will melt the glaze again.

Step 4: Using the new Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Long Stem Rose, I painted the stem and leaves a couple of shades of green acrylic and then applied TH Glaze to the top of the leaves. I did the same with the yellow rose. After heat setting, it was set aside for a minute.


You can see that I used the glaze randomly on the leaves, 
creating a bit of texture.


Step 5: Wanting this rose to look as if it's growing out of the bottom of a tree trunk, I used a THS035 stencil. Sorry, it doesn't have a name but looks like wildflowers or wild leaves. The stencil was applied to the background using Prima Patina Effect paint.



Step 6:  This tag needed something else added to the background. I chose a couple of things: writing paper that I distressed & tore; a *life is good* sticker I found in my stash; some additional leaves; prills.

NOTE: Leaves are Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Skeleton Leaves (coming soon) . I know they're not rose leaves. If you'd like Rose leaves, GSLCuts has those as well and can be found here:



And that's the end of my tag story.


Thanks for reading along.
Here are the
Gypsy Soul Laser Cut
chippies I used for this project:



Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Skeleton Leaves
(coming soon)

and just in case you'd like to use the rose leaves:

GSLCuts Rose Leaves

Thanks for visiting with me today.
Be safe.
Stay home & craft
&
get your favorite chipboard
delivered directly to you.

Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Store

1 comment:

  1. Great techniques. My momma had a yellow rose Bush so this project brought back sweet memories of her and my childhood. Hugs my friend!!

    ReplyDelete