Wednesday, May 15, 2019

gathering ideas

Hi everyone, it seems like the closer we get to the summer months, the busier it is; and the more difficult it becomes keeping track of everything, especially creative ideas. 
Today I am sharing an "idea" journal I created to help me keep track of things. I thought it would be fun to make the journal in a steampunk style. In my mind, steampunk and innovation go hand in hand. Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts has some wonderful steampunk shapes and pieces that are perfect for incorporating into journals.
I begin with an Eileen Hull passport journal die cut from medium weight chipboard. The base journal is covered with papers I created with Distress Oxide sprays in Vintage Photo, Walnut Stain and Cracked Pistachio. I also added some Distress spray stain in Spiced Marmalade. I love the results achieved from the combination of colors and inks. 
The Steampunk Lightbulb Set has so many great pieces to choose from. Since my journal only uses a few, I look forward to using this set for multiple projects.
I use Tim Holtz worn text stamps to create the word "Ideas." This is stamped with Versamark ink then heat embossed with Oil Rubbed Bronze embossing powder, in the bottom right hand corner of the cover. I also emboss the small simple lightbulb shape from the Steampunk Lightbulb Set with the same powder.
 
Combining all my creative ideas, I use the lightbulb as the central focus of the cover, layered above a Tim Holtz Gearhead die cut and adorned with embossed pieces from theSteampunk Shape Set.
Inside the journal are three inserts.
The first is a Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts ATC folder. It has been covered with another piece from the papers I created with Distress Oxide sprays. I have added a few embossed cogs and gear pieces from the Steampunk Shape Set to complete the outside.
The interior of the folder has two pockets to store miscellaneous findings. I have edged each pocket with strips of the inked paper.
The second insert is a mini lined composition notebook. The notebook has been covered with colored card stock and adorning this cover is a section from the GSLC Collage Border Steampunk. Using snips, I simply cut the length I want and then emboss the section with Seth Apter's Patina Oxide Baked Texture embossing powder.
 I love the way the embossing color plays off the inks I have used throughout the journal. I adhere the embossed piece to the covered notebook and also add some stenciling.
The final insert is completely hand made, using the Oxide spray paper as a cover and containing watercolor papers for filler. Using a pointing hand piece from the Steampunk Lightbulb Set, I first heat emboss one side with oil rubbed bronze embossing powder, and when it is cool, I glue a paper clip to the back side to use as a planner clip. The clip will help me to hold the page I am working on and make it readily available after the book is closed. I love the way this turned out, and will definitely be making a few more clips to use in different journal inserts. It's a simple way to use up those small extra pieces that you have laying around, and super helpful for keeping organized.
Sometimes it's the embellishments that have the most impact on a project. I believe that by adding the Gypsy Soul Laser Cut steampunk pieces to this simple journal, I was able to give it the style I was looking for without a lot of added work. The perfect solution to busy days and staying organized, all the while gathering ideas.
Thanks so much for stopping by the blog today, 
I really appreciate you taking the time.
~Ann

I hope that you are inspired to create something with Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts. The design team and I would love to see what you are making, feel free to share it on out Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Craft Group Facebook page. You can find it here.

Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts used:
ATC folder (coming soon)

2 comments:

  1. I love the background colors and the content of each folder. Really brilliant project. I cannot wait to try some of the ink oxide colors you told us about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great album. It reminds me that I still need to make an idea album. See, you are always inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete