Wednesday, January 16, 2019

a sweet treat

As February nears, and I begin to see retailers' shelves filling with red and pink packaging, I am always reminded of the times when handmade love notes and Valentine treats were what the approaching holiday was all about. I remember, even with my own children, sitting and dreaming up ideas for what we would make to give out that year; then, gathering the supplies, setting aside some time, and enjoying the hours spent creating (and signing) each and every one. Valentines day makes me think of years gone by when candy boxes were ornately embellished, and the beautiful love notes were covered with lace and cherubs. It is these visions that are the inspiration behind today's project.
I use a Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts fold up box rectangle (coming soon) as the base for my project. The box arrives in two flat pieces that are perforated along the fold lines. I like to score over the perforated lines with a bone folder before folding the box into its 3D shape. 
 I select some vintage looking papers from my stash (four pieces of 6x6 paper) and then ink all of the chipboard edges (both interior and exterior) with a coordinating color.
I cut the outside cover paper to fit the sides and flat top plane, then using the chipboard piece as a template, trace the opening onto my decorative paper. This area is cut out with an Exacto knife. I also cut a piece of clear acetate approximately 1/8" larger (on all sides) than the opening. The acetate will be glued in place between the decorative paper and the chipboard box. This will allow the inside of the box to be viewed when in the closed position, as well as keep the items inside contained.
I begin securing the flaps of the fold up box base with adhesive and clamp until dry. I construct the box one side at a time. 
When the box top and bottom are secure, begin adhering the decorative papers. While glue dries securing the acetate piece in place, I add a thin metallic cording around the edge of the window on the decorative paper, tying the ends into a bow at the base of the opening. This piece is layered over the acetate. The box base is covered with a different patterned paper inside and out. A glittery vintage rose colored washi tape covers the exposed edge, creating a beautiful finished look.
I select one of the stacked labels from the set that has hearts within the decorative portion of the design. This piece is coated with embossing ink and sprinkled with gold tinsel embossing powder, then heat set. A red resin rose is attached to the embossed label. This decorative element is placed on the acetate window.
I create an extra embellishment for the interior of the box. What a sweet surprise it will be when the recipient enjoys all the treats that fill the cavity, only then to discover a little love note hidden at the bottom.
Hopefully my sweet treat box has inspired you to create some valentines for your loved ones. It means so much to receive something that comes from the heart. 
I look forward to sharing more in the coming weeks.
Thanks so much for stopping by, I truly appreciate it.
~Ann
  xxx


Supplies
Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts:
Fold Up Box Rectangle (coming soon)
 Stackable Labels Shape Set

1 comment: