Wednesday, December 19, 2018

madonna medallions

Hello everyone,
 Ann here today, and I'm sharing some very special pieces that I have created using Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts artist trading coins. These coins are very popular, and I wanted to try my hard at making some.

With Christmas fast approaching, my thoughts have placed Mary, and the upcoming birth, forefront in my mind. I thought it would be wonderful to create some of these coins with iconic images of the madonna, so that I can slip a few into my holiday cards. They could easily be converted to ornaments by poking a hole and stringing a gold thread for hanging.
The coins are a perfect size to manipulate and make your own in many different ways and styles; I am so glad that I decided to create some of my own. One piece of advice: once you get started, it is hard to stop making them, so be sure to get a number of packs or you will find yourself wanting more before the paint has dried...I learned this the hard way. The coins arrive in a pack of three, sturdy, 2 1/2" diameter circles. They can take any type of mixed media you want to work with.
 I have a growing collection of religious images, some are in the form of card-fronts that I have received and saved, clippings from a monthly publication that I read, religious calendars from years past, and postcards. I sort through all of the pieces and select a few to work with. Using a circle punch, I crop the madonna images.
These circles are then adhered to the coin bases using collage medium. I coat the coin itself as well as the top of the image. This will facilitate the next layers that I will be adding.
While the collage medium is drying, I gather stencils, stamps, paints, inks and embossing powders to use on my coins. The best part about the artist trading coins is the creative freedom you have. There is no right or wrong, you can let your imagination take your creativity wherever it leads.
Following are some samples of my madonna medallions.
I have included a brief description of the mediums used on that particular face.
crackle, gold leaf, stamping, vintage beeswax embossing powder 
stamping, gold embossing
texture paste, gilding wax, gold leaf
crackle, antiquing stain, gilding, pen and ink
stamp, deep sea embossing powder, copper perfect pearls
partial stamp, chunky rust embossing powder, distress crayon, gold paint pen
I am eager to create more of these coins with different themes, it is such a wonderful way to try out ideas and play with mediums. They can be as simple or as complicated as you like.
Wishing you a joyous holiday season;
  I look forward to sharing more projects in the new year.
Thank you so much for taking the time to visit, it means a lot to me.
~Ann
 xx

Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts used:
  Artist Trading Coins

3 comments:

  1. I’m not sure what happened to my comment. I really love this project and am inspired by the techniques and the content... Fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete