Sunday, October 14, 2018

Spooky Halloween Jar

Hi everyone!  Leigh Ann here today with my first post for Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts!  I love all things paper crafts, spooky, and mason jars, so this was a fun and perfect project for me.  


 


First, I started by painting my chipboard pieces.  The pumpkin, bat, and creepy cat are from the Spooky Shapes set. I painted the pumpkin with orange acrylic paint and used Weathered Wood Distress Stain on the stem. Once dry, I coated it with Distress Crackle Paint in Rock Candy. When the crackle paint was dry, I rubbed it with Black Soot Distress Ink to accent the cracks.  I used a dry brush technique to paint the cat and bat with black acrylic paint. When they were dry, I used a sanding block to rough them up a bit.






While these pieces were drying, I painted the lid and other pieces in the Tim Holtz Idea-ology Photo Clip Kit with the same black acrylic paint. 

For the inside of the jar I colored some Finnabair art stones with Black Soot, Brushed Corduroy, and Iced Spruce Distress Inks.  This made them look dirty and mossy.  Inside the jar, I mixed the large and mini size Art Stones and some mica flakes with the Finnabair Concrete Stone Effect Paste.  I added my colored stones on top of the concrete paste. I also cut a small piece of Halloween paper and distressed it with Black Soot ink to create a background in my jar. 





Next, I used the Finnabair rust paste set to make this Tim Holtz skull and crossbones look worn and dirty. At this point in my creating, I wasn't sure if it was going to be used inside or outside of the jar, but I loved the look of it and wanted to use it somewhere.





I got a little excited and didn't take many pictures as my jar came together!  I cut the spider and web from the Creepy Corners 1 set.  I painted the web white, and embossed it with clear embossing powder.  I also embossed the spider with black powder.  I used hot glue to attach the bat to the top of the clip.  I made a small card from chipboard, and covered it with paper and a 31 from the Simple Stories Simple Vintage Halloween collection.  I attached my embossed spider and web to this card, as well as a piece of Halloween ephemera that I found in my stash.  On top of the jar lid I glued down some grey creepy fabric, a couple of pieces of black glitter stems, and a head that I ripped off of a Dollar Tree skeleton. I also wrapped twine around the lid and dirtied it with Black Soot ink. I added a small amount of fake spider web to the finished product.




On the back of the photo clip kit, I hot glued the battery box to a set of orange fairy lights that I also picked up at the Dollar Tree. I put a hole in the lid with a screw and then threaded the lights through the hole. When the card is clipped on, it completely hides the battery box. 





I glued the cat to the top of the pumpkin and then hot glued it to the bottom of the jar.  I also added the glitter stems to the background and the front.  The rusty crossbones I made earlier is nestled in the right side of the background. The pictures don't show it well, but it looks amazing in person!  Once I had all of my pieces inside, I wound the light string around inside the jar, added some more spider web, and screwed on the lid.  I also decided to add the crow from the black Halloween Shapes set to the lid at the last minute. 


Here is the finished product with and without the lights on:





Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Products Used:
Spooky Shape Set
Creepy Corners 1
Black Halloween Shapes- Coming Soon


Thanks for stopping by!  I hope you have enjoyed this tutorial for making a spooky Halloween mason jar. 

Leigh Ann


No comments:

Post a Comment