Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Angel or Devil

Over the Rhine is one of my favorite bands. The lyrics to their song "What I'll Remember Most" are "The biggest lies are the little ones. When the look in your eyes is the distant one. Angel or Demon You know that they can share the same bed I've laid awake so long I've got them both inside my head. You were 80% angel 10% demon. The rest was hard to explain. This is the inspiration for this current project.

1.  Take apart Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Wings Assortment and two Heart Frames from Family Tree Kit.
2.   Choose one "good" dragon eye-I used a blue human eye- and one "bad" dragon eye-I used a red cat eye.
3.  Paint one heart with Lumiere Hi-Lite Blue and Pearl White, the other with Lumiere Crimson and DecoArt Festive Red.
 4.  Glue Hearts together and clamp into place, allowing to dry fully.
5.  Roll out your polymer clay into a thin sheet.
6.  Cut into two pieces.
7.  Use clear roller and gently roll over two stamps of your choosing.
8.   Use heart cutter to cut out two hearts.
9.  Place eyes in center of each clay heart gluing into place with Sculpey Liquid Clay.
10.                Add details to eyes using circle cutters, small nails securing with Sculpey Liquid Clay.
11.                Use Mica Powders to "paint" the eyes, I used Finnabair White and Silver for "good eye" and Red and Gold for "bad eye". Add small nails for added details.
12.                Bake as per manufactures recommendations.
13.                Paint one side of wings with a paint made of mixing Finnabair white mica powders and white glitter added to DecoArt Dura Clear Matte Varnish.
14.                Paint the side of wings with a paint made of mixing Finnabair black and bronze mica powders and black glitter added to DecoArt Dura Clear Matte Varnish.
15.                Add dimension to wings by variegating lines of embossing powders and ice resin-I used a versa mark marker I added Ice Resin- German Silver, Judi Kins-Opaque White Embossing Powder and Ultimate Peacock to the "good wings" and Ice Resin- Tarnished Bronze, Rangers Embossing Powder of Black and Black Sparkle to the "bad wings"
16.                Be sure to cure with heating gun after each new color added and be extra careful not to contaminate your supplies as you add each additional layer.
17.                Use an Exacto Blade to reopen some of the laser cuts that are now covered with cured embossing powders and ice resins.
18.                Glue cooled clay eyes into Heart Frame using Weldbond.
19.                Distress and add depth to heart eye frames using Rub'n Buff.
20.                Fill in any gaps using Glossy Accents and Microbeads.
21.                Glue wings together using a small strip of Tyvek and Weldbond.
22.                 Allow to dry completely and flat weighted down with BBs or kitty litter.
23.                Trim Tyvek from wings so it does not show through heart eye frames.
24.                Glue each heart eye from on its respective side allowing to dry completely and flat weighted down with BBs or kitty litter.
25.                I wanted to add more stability to the wings and coated them with a clear gesso thinking it would dry clear and transparent. BUT IT DRIED WHITE!! So I had to save my cool project.
26.                I went through my supplies and found another set of Gypsy Souls Laser Cuts-Wings Assortment and Gypsy Souls Laser Cuts-Feathers Shape Set to add more depth to my wings.
27.                I painted wings with white gesso then I used a versa mark marker I added Ice Resin- German Silver, Judi Kins-Opaque White Embossing Powder and Ultimate Peacock to the "good wings"
28.                I painted feathers with black gesso then I used Ice Resin- Tarnished Bronze, Rangers Embossing Powder of Black and Black Sparkle to the "bad feathers"
29.                Glue to respective side using Weldbond.
30.                Allow to dry completely and flat weighted down with BBs or kitty litter.
31.                String together an assortment of beads using SoftFlex and crimping the ends leaving a loop to put a jump ring through.

32.                Attach beads to top of heart using a jump ring.
33.                Attach 3 small wind chimes to pewter chandelier earring finding using thin wire.
34.                Attach to the bottom of heart using a micro screw and a screwdriver.  
35.                Mobile is now ready to hang and enjoy for whatever mood you find yourself in.

Some more lyrics from Over the Rhine
I'm a Failed Christian
I don't go to church
I smoke and I drink
And I lie and I curse

(Failed Christian)
All my favorite people are broken
Believe me
My heart should know
Some prayers are better left unspoken
I just wanna hold you
And let the rest go
All my friends are part saint and part sinner
We lean on each other
Try to rise above
We’re not afraid to admit we’re all still beginners
We’re all late bloomers
When it comes to love
All my favorite people are broken
Believe me
My heart should know
Orphaned believers, skeptical dreamers
Step forward
You can stay right here
You don’t have to go
(All My Favorite People)
Supplies: (2) Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts-Wings Assortment, Gypsy Souls Laser Cuts-Feathers Shape Set , Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts-Family Tree, (I used the hearts only), 2 small dragon eyes, Lumiere Pain Hi-Lite Blue, Pearl White, Crimson, Deco Art-Festive Red, Paintbrush, Clamps, Weldbond, Polymer Clay, Heart Shape and Circle Cutters, Stamps, Clear Roller, Ribbon Blade, Sculpey Liquid Clay, Tiny Nails, Mica Powders- I used Finnabair White and Brass, Rangers Grey, White and Black Glitter, Deco Art Dura Clear Matte Varnish, paintbrush, Versa Mark Marker, Embossing Powders-I used Judi Kins Extreme Peacock, Opaque White ,Rangers Black Sparkle, Black, Ice Resin-Tarnished Bronze and German Silver, Heating Tool, Exacto Blade, Weldbond, Rub'n Buff-Silver, Antique Gold, Gold Leaf, and Spanish Copper, Glossy Accents, Finnabair Microbeads, Tyvek, Scissors, Bag of BBs or Kitty Litter, Clear(White) and Black Gesso, Assorted Beads, Soft Flex Beading Wire, 2mm Barrel Crimp Bead, Crimping Tool, Miniature Wind Chime Kit, pewter chandelier earring finding, wire, microscrew, screwdriver
I cannot wait to see your interpretation of this project. Share it on the Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Craft Group Page on Facebook. I would love to see what new creations you are working on!


No comments:

Post a Comment