Saturday, May 26, 2018

Cabinet of Curiosities

I like tiny things, I always have. I still have Barbie accessories from when I was a kid. So I guess I also hoard tiny things. I've had a stash of tiny favorites I've been staring at for years thinking 'some day' I would find the very best use for them which is how they ended up in one of these gorgeous GSL Millinery Cabinets

For instance, I bought this little ceramic beaver at Disney World the first year it was open. The skull was an expensive impulse buy at a mineral show and glued onto a flat bead. The zombie specimen is a HO scale train person with some red paint added just because. The mineral is a chunk of glow in the dark vase filler. The duck is a glass charm and the Enterprise is a miniature Hallmark Christmas ornament. 
The main section of the cabinet is papered with Graphic 45 Artisan Style Craftsmanship paper which is perfect for this project. The specimen art posters are found in a cabinet of curiosities collage sheet from Alpha Stamps. The shark's teeth are some I picked up at the beach when I was a kid. They are showcased on a painted scrap of wood. I somehow have collected a lot of lapel pins over the years and chose one I got at a Prince concert in the 80's. The glass eye is a gift from a friend (don't I have awesome friends?). I found the mini display domes at Michaels. 
  
This shelf holds jars of shells and pearls, a charm I got at Hershey as a child and a Dungeons and Dragons miniature figure. I love that the charm has come out of the bottom of my jewelry box into something I look at every day. 
More shells, charms and specimen art. The skeleton foot is from one of those dollar store Halloween garlands. I found a ouija board digital download at Etsy. The coffee inside the miniature cup is made from mixing a small amount of Glossy Accents and some brown food color.
These jars contain black coarse salt and some ladybug polymer clay cane slices. I included an HO scale sheep, miniature tombstone and a Tim Holtz skull.
The scrolls are made from paper aged with an ink pad. The feathers are from our chickens and a friend's guinea fowl. 
 A miniature brass diving helmet I've had forever. The crystal ball is made from a marble and bead.  The animal skull was a gift.
A jaw bone, a scarab and metal pitcher I picked up on my travels and a mineral specimen I studied in college. 
The millinery cabinet works perfectly as a curiosity cabinet. Surely, you have some tiny treasures, too!  Supplement them with feathers, shells, shark's teeth, polymer clay canes, scrolls and specimen art and you will have a place to display them. Dig out that charm bracelet and have some fun! 


Gypsy Soul Items Used

Other Items Used
Acrylic paint
Tacky glue
Alpha Stamps Cabinet of Curiosities collage sheet
Miniature jars
Shells
Feathers
Treasures


No comments:

Post a Comment