Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Frida Shrine "Book"

Hi everyone, Ann here today, sharing this Frida Kahlo Shrine "book" that I created
 to showcase some stamped images that I love.
It all begins with a Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts altoids tin book cover. This piece arrives in three, flat pieces. You can recycle a tin to use inside or find one in your local craft supply store. Being a wintergreen Altoids lover, I will be using one of the plentiful empty tins from my stash.
I know I will be using a stamped image on the cover of the "book" so I add a light coat of white paint to one side of a cover and allow it to dry. One thing I love about the Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts is that they are very dense chipboard, and they accept all kinds of medium very well, especially paint. I will be using paint to color the stamped image, so I make sure to clear emboss it after stamping. The stamp I am using is "Creation" by Sandra Evertson from RubberMoon. There are four portals in this series and they are all fabulous. I chose this one because I will be cutting a hole in the center to allow the interior to be seen when the shrine is in the closed position and I can easily cut out the shape of the opening that this portal has.
Although the chipboard is dense, it can still be cut using an Exacto knife. The best way to get a clean cut is to make your initial line and then go over it as many times as necessary until you have cut through. Be sure to use a sharp/new blade. It may also work with a steel rule die; but since I was working within this portal I felt that hand cutting would be best. The next step is painting the pieces. I use a combination of acrylic paints, the main turquoise color is Deco Art Americana acrylic paint in Laguna. All of the pieces are painted on both sides. The other colors used are from an artist set of acrylic paints. I mixed different colors to create the hues that I was looking for and painted the stamped image. 
While I have the paints out, I also paint the tin that will be glued inside. For this I use the same Deco Art Laguna acrylic, and paint the inside with a coat of black. while that is drying, I die cut the greenery pieces using the Tim Holtz Tropical dies by Sizzix.
The focal point of the shrine is "Alma" another Sandra Evertson stamp by RubberMoon. When I began the piece, I was not sure if she would be situated behind the greens or in front. For this reason, I initially cut a piece of watercolor paper to fit within the tin. I stamped and clear embossed the image, then using distress ink, colored around her. I ultimately decide to locate her in front of the greens. This requires fussy cutting the image once it is completely colored.
Since I am not using the lid on the tin, the spine width is a bit too wide. I measure the width that I want the spine to be, and cut it to that size. This allows the top to rest on the tin when it is in the closed position. To create the hinge for the shrine "book", I use washi tape. I cover the tape with a coat of paint so that it is not noticeable when the shrine is in the open position. I add a few die cut palm leaves to add interest on the inside of the spine, as well as additional camouflage for the hinge.
Now it is time to assemble the remaining pieces. I locate the tin so that it is centered within the opening on the front panel, for a clear view within, when the "book" is shut. I mark where the tin corners need to be and use a strong adhesive to attach the tin to the back plate. I allow this to dry overnight before adding any embellishments.
 Then I add die cut fronds around the outside edges of the tin, as well as some tropical flowers. All of these pieces were cut using the Tim Holtz Tropical thinlet dies.            
               
                                       
For the spine, I cut a piece of green card stock a bit smaller than the thickness of the assembled "book" and using the Tim Holtz Leafy embossing folder, created a textured strip. I apply glue only to the flat center piece of the "spine"and attach the strip. This will allow the hinged areas to work freely while the decorative strip remains in place. 
I cut a label from natural paper and use small alphabet stamps to stamp "FRIDA". I ink the edges of the label with Distress Ink in peeled paint and crushed olive. This is attached to the top of the front panel with foam adhesive and two small, layered flowers are adhered at either side. 
 I love the depth I was able to achieve using the Altoids Tin Book Cover, and especially like that it can be opened and admired from a different perspective as well.  
I hope you love this Frida Shrine.

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by the blog,  
I hope that you are inspired to create something.
Be sure to share your Gypsy Soul creations with us on the Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Craft Group Page on Facebook. We would love to see what you are up to!
~Ann

Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts used:

2 comments: