Monday, January 22, 2018

She Flies-mixed media canvas by Lynne

Hello crafters!  I wanted to play around with some girly colours and decided to make a canvas with an empowering sentiment and some gorgeous pieces from the Gypsy Soul Lasercuts store:


I really love the different birds in the set, so I used several of them on my 8" round canvas; I ran them through a peacock feather embossing folder, trying to avoid the eyes and just add lines to the pieces to create some texture.



After choosing my chipboard and other elements I played around with them until I had a basic design-that way I knew where there was white space to add texture paste stenciling and a couple pieces of drywall tape. It wasn't until after I had moved on to the next step that I noticed one of the birds was upside down here! That's one reason why I never glue things down right away....although that's not always a good thing when I finally have everything placed exactly the way I want it, and one of my cats decides it's time to turn my work space into the Indy 500...or into a bed....sigh! Oh well, other than having to turn the bird over, this project went pretty smoothly-no kitty assistance!

After the stenciling was added I glued my arrangement down (and added a few more goodies to the bare spots) then primed the entire surface with white gesso.


I sponge-painted the canvas with pale pink and lavender acrylic paint before misting it with a bit of white all over. 


I then added mist in pink, purple and a smidge of turquoise, then rubbed on some Art Alchemy wax in "Royal Robes".



I was happy with the colours after that, and all I did was rub a little purple ink over the letters and a few raised surfaces with my finger for added definition-hope you like the finished product! I just happened to have a piece of ribbon in my stash that matched the colours exactly, so I added a bow at the bottom, which I thought added a bit of extra texture and interest to the round canvas-thanks so much for stopping by, and may you and your brave wings fly this week and always!!

GYPSY SOUL ITEMS USED

Birds Shape Set
Feathers Shape Set

OTHER ITEMS USED

DecoArt acrylic paint
Bad Girls Couture gesso
Cuttlebug machine and embossing folder
Tattered angels and Mister Huey mists
Prima stencils, homemade texture paste
drywall tape
various flowers and diecuts

No comments:

Post a Comment