Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Art Caddy With Guest Designer Betsy Skagen


Greetings and welcome everyone! Here in the U.S., November is the month of giving thanks, and my platter is overflowing with gratitude this month. I'm Betsy Skagen of Paper Calliope and I am so thankful that Gina asked me to serve as the 2015 November Guest Designer of what will soon be know as Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts.

Today I'm going to show you my Art Cabinet Organizer. If you are anything like me, you can never have too many places to store art materials. Made from one of Gina's Designs fabulous kits, it could be used for many purposes. In fact, I may have to make another for my mail area!
  


Tutorial--How to make Gina's Art Cabinet Organizer

Since I have been (painfully) slowly giving my studio a teal and rust industrial chic makeover, I altered the cabinet to fit in with the rest of my decor. Here's how I did it:

Step 1:  Cover all of the wood with brown cocoa bean paint. If you prefer, you can just paint the surfaces you will leave exposed. Since I was not sure what I was going to leave uncovered, I went ahead and painted everything. 



Step 2:  After it is dry, apply teal paint with a dry brush technique.



Step 3: Completely cover the ledger paper from the 7gypsies Trousseau Collection with Tea Dye Distress Ink using a blender tool.





Step 4: Measure each of the panels you wish to cover and cut papers from 7gypsies
Maritime and 7gypsies Trousseau collections. Ink edges with Vintage Photo Distress Ink. Adhere papers to panels with matte Mod Podge. Add another coat of matte Mod Podge over top of paper to act as a sealant and let dry.




Step 5: Add a decorative rope ribbon between the two papers on the large side panel and secure on the inside of the panel. Repeat for the other side.

 Step 6: Assemble the pieces with a strong adhesive such as Beacon Fabri-Tac. (Don't be fooled by the fabric reference.)


Step 7: Add decorative tape to the exterior corner edges and seal with Mod Podge.

The Drawers




Step 8: To make the drawers, first assemble the drawers using a strong adhesive. Use Mod Podge to adhere 7gypsies Conservatory paper to the side and Maritime paper to the front. Ink edges with Vintage Photo Distress Ink.

Step 9: Add decorative tape to the exterior corner edges of the drawers. Seal with a coat of Mod Podge.




Great stuff you will need
Art Storage Cabinet (Contact Store!)

 

 7gypsies Paper Pad, 6 by 6-Inch, Maritime,
7gypsies Trousseau Paper Pad
7gypsies Conservatory Paper Pad
Ranger Distress Ink Pad, Vintage Photo
Ranger Distress Ink Pad, Tea Dye
Metal Custom Knobs with Stickers by Idea-ology
Mod Podge Original Matte Finish
Beacon Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive,
Americana Multi-Surface Satin Acrylic Paint 2oz-Cocoa Bean
Deco Art Media Fluid Acrylic Paint Cobalt Teal
Decorative tape
Decorative rope ribbon
Blending tool

4 comments:

  1. Betsy! That is amazing. Gorgeous paper/colour choices <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! Perfect for the craft room or bill paying desk. I love your color combination for this project.

    ReplyDelete